Santiago de Compostela Things to Do Tips by into-thin-air Top 5 Page for this destination
Santiago de Compostela Things to Do: 348 reviews and 1,230 photos
The largest Place we passed through on this leg of our Camino de Santiago was Leon, It is a Very Beautiful City with an Incredible Cathedral, So Make Sure that you leave yourself Plenty of time to look around both the Inside and Outside of it -- Time Very well Spent !!!
The Cruz de Ferro
One thing that you Won't miss whilst walking the Camino de Santiago is the Cruz de Ferro, It is a Famous landmark just after the Tiny Village of Foncebadon and was put there to guide Pilgrims over the High Pass There !! Also it has another Important significance and that is that All Pilgrims should place a stone at the bottom of the cross that they have brought with them from there home -- This act symbolises a Lightening of the Load as you are getting Closer to Santiago de Compostela !!! So don't forget to bring that stone with you went you set off !!!!
The Castillo de los Templaros
The Castillo de los Templaros at Ponferrada Is a " Must See " Place !! It towers above the Old Town and looks absolutely Fantastic, Open to the Public and shouldn't be missed !!!!
Ranabal del Camino, Once in Decline now Booming
Whilst walking the Camino de Santiago, What ever the reason it is that you have decided to walk the " Way " you will be helping the local economy. In fact some of the villages en-route that were either previously deserted or at least dying are now once more Booming Because of the money being spent by the Pilgrims on their way through !! So It's nice to be a part of this sort of tourism as all to many times we here about the damage being done through Tourism !!!!!!!
The Monument at Monte del Gozo
The first glimpse the Pilgrim gets of Santiago de Compostella is from the top of Monte del Gozo ( The aptly named mount of Joy )
Here in ancient times the Pilgrims did their ceremonial washing / cleansing before proceeding on into Santiago de Compostella. Now it is the sight of this monument and the Biggest Refugio in the whole of Spain with 800 beds !!!!
Early Morning at Santiago de Compostela Cathedral
Without Doubt one of the most impressive Cathedrals that I have seen Anywhere in the World is that of Santiago de Compostela !! When you arrive it is sure to be crowded with both fellow Pilgrims and other visitors -- So my tip is if you want to see it peacefully to get up early in the morning and take a look around it !! This photo was taken soon after 08.00 and as you can see there isn't a soul around !!!!
" The Camino Real " - our first glimpse of the Sea
As I said in my Introduction, The Further West you walk --- The Better it Gets !! And this is most Noticeable if you do " The Finisterre Extension " to the " Camino de Santiago " It is approximately another 100k from Santiago de Compostela to the Light-House on Cape Finisterre and I would Really recommend this IF you have the time !! The Scenery is Fantastic, The Refugios are Wonderful, The People are Smashing and I think that it is an Excellent way to finish your walk !!!
More Reviews (47)
- See All Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit...
- See All More Galician Villages !!!!
- See All Galician " Sun-Set "
- See All The Camino de Costa
- " The Shop at the End of the Known World...
- See All Great place for lunch !!!!
- See All Almost made it !!!!!!
- Don't forget to leave enough time to...
- See All Tourist Town !!!
- The People that you meet " on the Road "...
- See All Our Final Refugio at the End of the...
Been to Santiago de Compostela?Share your travels with the world!
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Camino Frances in May 2012"
- "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- "Santiago de Compostela"
- "Santiago de Compostela - Winter and Summer"
- "Santiago: A piece of magic"
- "Meine Ausruestung fuer meinen naechsten Camino"
- "Santiago de Compostela- 2004 JUBILEE year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
- Transportation in Santiago de Compostela
- Nightlife in Santiago de Compostela
- Restaurants in Santiago de Compostela
- Shopping in Santiago de Compostela
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago de Compostela
- See All...
Explore the World
- Van Ili Hotels
- Ramona Park Hotels
- Waldorf Hotels
- Greenville Hotels
Badges & Stats in Santiago de Compostela
- 54 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de Compostela
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: “A Cry for Help”"
- updated a Santiago de Compostela Travel Page "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- Wrote a Review Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit Dry in Santiago de Compostela What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit Dry"
- Commented on one of micas_pt's Santiago de Compostela travel pages
Photos in Santiago de CompostelaSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 328 reviews, 910 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 221 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 45 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos
- Aragon Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comunidad Valenciana Intro, 28 reviews, 103 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Latest Santiago de Compostela hotel reviews
- Parador Los Reyes Catolicos
- 259 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- AC Palacio Del Carmen Hotel Santiago de Compostela
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Monte do Gozo
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2013
- Hotel Horreo
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Hotel San Lorenzo
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2013
- NH Obradoiro
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Pazo Cibran
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Hotel Fonte De San Roque
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Puerta del Camino
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Meiga Backpackers
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Gran Hotel Santiago
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Sino Hotel & Lounge
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Husa Ciudad De Compostela
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013
- Hostal Linares
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 25, 2009
- Hotel Costa Vella
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Cathedral- 50 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Cathedral Museum- 10 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Church of San Martino Pinario- 9 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Monasterio de San Paio de Antealtares- 6 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Praza do Obradoiro - Square of the Stonecutters- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Pazo de Raxoi- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Colegio de Fonesca- 3 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Colegio de San Jeronimo- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Alameda Park- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos- 6 Reviews, 8 Photos