"Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria by into-thin-air
Cumbria Travel Guide: 1,175 reviews and 3,100 photos
I thought it was about time I changed the opening photo on here, This is one I took earlier this month (February 09) of Wasdale in the snow – I Hope you like it ;-)
I live in a small village called Gosforth (Not to be confused with Gosforth near Newcastle-upon-Tyne) which is situated within the Lake District National Park on the western fringe.
I am 3 miles from the coast and 3 mile from Wasdale where I was born, so on the surface I haven’t moved far, but if you read my home-page you will find this isn’t really the case ;-)
Gosforth is a pleasant village to live in and we have most amenities in the village, a bank, Village Shop with Post Office, Bakers, Hairdressers, Combination Outdoor and Antique Shop, Hobby Shop and Most Importantly 5 pubs :-) – well that’s including 2 hotels ;-)
Gosforth is famous for it’s Viking cross in the churchyard and also for the most northerly cork tree in Europe – OK Very Obscure but maybe worth a mention.
The down-side is that we are also only 3 miles from Sellafield but I try not to think about that one ;-) But no doubt it does have an effect on tourism in the area But it does provide local jobs.
I spend as much time as I can on the fells, I can walk out of my front door and be on a 2000 footer within ½ an hour. Or hop in my car and be in Wasdale in less than 10 minutes, So although I will put a few bits and pieces on here about Gosforth, I will concentrate on Wasdale, OK, It’s a long time since I left the farm, But I Still consider myself as “A Wasdale Lad”
If you have any questions about the Western lakes then please fell free to drop me a line, If you want to come out on the fell with me one day then also drop me a line and we will see what we can sort out
Thanks for dropping by
A Great walk in Wasdale is the " Front Climber's Traverse " on Great Gable, Here you will come across " The Sphinx Rock " this is a natural rock shape which overlooks Wastwater -- the Deepest lake in England !!! Quite a sight, I think you will agree !!????
Not far from the Sphinx Rock is Napes Needle, If you like you can " Thread the Needle " this means climb up to it then pass through the small gap behind it !! Be Warned it is easier said than done as there is quite a drop -- best done heading from east to west !!! Give it a go as long as you have a Good head for Hights !!!!
Cumbria can be a bit cold and wet during wintertime, so as it gets towards the end of January I start to look for the 1st signs of Spring.
I took this photo yesterday, Snowdrops in full bloom in the hedge opposite my house.
Springs just around the corner - Yipeeeeeeeeee
- Pros:Great Walking
- Cons:Watch the Weather !!!!
- In a nutshell:Have a Great walk but Please remember to Be Safe !!!!!
When visiting the Lake District, Please don’t forget that there are still people trying to work, farmers taking sheep... more travel advice
When visiting Lakeland you will no doubt take a tour around as many lakes as you can, If you are interested in wildlife... more travel advice
- Best Café in Silloth
- See All Eskdale to Boot via Miterdale & Burnmoor...
- Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit...
- Be Prepared when out on the Fell...
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Cumbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!"
- "My County"
- "Where I Live....."
- "Ulverston, Cumbria"
- "Lake Windermere"
- "The Lake District, Cumbria, England"
- "Cumbria (and the Lake District)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumbria
- Hotels in Cumbria
- Transportation in Cumbria
- Nightlife in Cumbria
- Restaurants in Cumbria
- Shopping in Cumbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumbria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cumbria
- 55 Reviews
- 220 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Cumbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumbria
Videos in CumbriaSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 328 reviews, 910 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 221 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 45 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos
- Aragon Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comunidad Valenciana Intro, 28 reviews, 103 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (62)
Top Cumbria hotels
- Windermere Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Carlisle Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Penrith Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Bowness-on-Windermere Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Kendal Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Barrow in Furness Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 154 Photos
- Keswick Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 329 Photos
- Grasmere Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 56 Photos
- Ambleside Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Coniston Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 59 Photos
- Cockermouth Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Ullswater Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 67 Photos
- Glenridding Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Sedbergh Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Natland Hotels
- See nearby hotels