"Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria by into-thin-air
Cumbria Travel Guide: 1,245 reviews and 3,395 photos
I live in a small village called Gosforth (Not to be confused with Gosforth near Newcastle-upon-Tyne) which is situated within the Lake District National Park on the western fringe.
I am 3 miles from the coast and 3 mile from Wasdale where I was born, so on the surface I haven?t moved far, but if you read my home-page you will find this isn?t really the case ;-)
Gosforth is a pleasant village to live in and we have most amenities in the village, a bank, Village Shop, Bakers, Combination Outdoor and Antique Shop, Hobby Shop, Hobby Shop, Flower Shop, Carpet Shop, 3 Restaurnats and Most Importantly 4 pubs :-) ? Well that?s including 2 hotels ;-)
Gosforth is famous for it?s Viking cross in the churchyard and also for the most northerly cork tree in Europe ? OK Very Obscure but maybe worth a mention.
The down-side is that we are also only 3 miles from Sellafield but I try not to think about that one ;-) But no doubt it does have an effect on tourism in the area But it does provide local jobs.
I spend as much time as I can on the fells, I can walk out of my front door and be on a 2000 footer within ½ an hour. Or hop in my car and be in Wasdale in less than 10 minutes, So although I will put a few bits and pieces on here about Gosforth, I will concentrate on Wasdale, OK, It?s a long time since I left the farm, But I Still consider myself as ?A Wasdale Lad?
If you have any questions about the Western lakes then please fell free to drop me a line, If you want to come out on the fell with me one day then also drop me a line and we will see what we can sort out
Thanks for dropping by
A Great walk in Wasdale is the " Front Climber's Traverse " on Great Gable, Here you will come across " The Sphinx Rock " this is a natural rock shape which overlooks Wastwater -- the Deepest lake in England !!! Quite a sight, I think you will agree !!????
Not far from the Sphinx Rock is Napes Needle, If you like you can " Thread the Needle " this means climb up to it then pass through the small gap behind it !! Be Warned it is easier said than done as there is quite a drop -- best done heading from east to west !!! Give it a go as long as you have a Good head for Hights !!!!
Cumbria can be a bit cold and wet during wintertime, so as it gets towards the end of January I start to look for the 1st signs of Spring.
I took this photo yesterday, Snowdrops in full bloom in the hedge opposite my house.
Springs just around the corner - Yipeeeeeeeeee
- Pros:Great Walking
- Cons:Watch the Weather !!!!
- In a nutshell:Have a Great walk but Please remember to Be Safe !!!!!
The Gosforth Hall inn is actually my ?Local? and is only about ½ of a mile from my home and I am a ?Regular? there... more travel advice
I wasn?t sure where to put this ?Tip? ? So I hope people find it here in Sports Travel ;-) If you are suffering with... more travel advice
- See All Only if you are Very Lucky !!!
- Where to buy your boots in Lakeland
- See All Eskdale to Boot via Miterdale & Burnmoor...
- Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit...
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Cumbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!"
- "My County"
- "Where I Live....."
- "Ulverston, Cumbria"
- "Lake Windermere"
- "Cumbria (and the Lake District)"
- "The Lake District, Cumbria, England"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumbria
- Hotels in Cumbria
- Transportation in Cumbria
- Nightlife in Cumbria
- Restaurants in Cumbria
- Shopping in Cumbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumbria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumbria
- 59 Reviews
- 238 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Cumbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumbria
- Posted in Travel Kathmandu Forum "Re: necessary things for trekking..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Rum Story"
- updated a Cumbria Travel Page "Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!"
- Wrote a Review If you're looking for somewhere... in Cumbria Hotels
- Commented on one of into-thin-air's Cumbria tips
- Uploaded a Video to Cumbria
Videos in CumbriaSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 350 reviews, 970 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cantabria Intro, 79 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 58 reviews, 233 photos, 11 travelogues
- England Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos