"Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria by into-thin-air

Cumbria Travel Guide: 1,197 reviews and 3,210 photos

Rob -- Walking in " The Back yard " !!!

I live in a small village called Gosforth (Not to be confused with Gosforth near Newcastle-upon-Tyne) which is situated within the Lake District National Park on the western fringe.
I am 3 miles from the coast and 3 mile from Wasdale where I was born, so on the surface I haven’t moved far, but if you read my home-page you will find this isn’t really the case ;-)

Gosforth is a pleasant village to live in and we have most amenities in the village, a bank, Village Shop, Bakers, Combination Outdoor and Antique Shop, Hobby Shop, Hobby Shop, Flower Shop, Carpet Shop, 3 Restaurnats and Most Importantly 4 pubs :-) – Well that’s including 2 hotels ;-)

Gosforth is famous for it’s Viking cross in the churchyard and also for the most northerly cork tree in Europe – OK Very Obscure but maybe worth a mention.

The down-side is that we are also only 3 miles from Sellafield but I try not to think about that one ;-) But no doubt it does have an effect on tourism in the area But it does provide local jobs.

I spend as much time as I can on the fells, I can walk out of my front door and be on a 2000 footer within ½ an hour. Or hop in my car and be in Wasdale in less than 10 minutes, So although I will put a few bits and pieces on here about Gosforth, I will concentrate on Wasdale, OK, It’s a long time since I left the farm, But I Still consider myself as “A Wasdale Lad”

If you have any questions about the Western lakes then please fell free to drop me a line, If you want to come out on the fell with me one day then also drop me a line and we will see what we can sort out

Thanks for dropping by

Rob

On the Climber's Traverse, Great Gable.

A Great walk in Wasdale is the " Front Climber's Traverse " on Great Gable, Here you will come across " The Sphinx Rock " this is a natural rock shape which overlooks Wastwater -- the Deepest lake in England !!! Quite a sight, I think you will agree !!????
Not far from the Sphinx Rock is Napes Needle, If you like you can " Thread the Needle " this means climb up to it then pass through the small gap behind it !! Be Warned it is easier said than done as there is quite a drop -- best done heading from east to west !!! Give it a go as long as you have a Good head for Hights !!!!

First signs of Spring ??

Cumbria can be a bit cold and wet during wintertime, so as it gets towards the end of January I start to look for the 1st signs of Spring.
I took this photo yesterday, Snowdrops in full bloom in the hedge opposite my house.
Springs just around the corner - Yipeeeeeeeeee

• Pros:Great Walking
  • Cons:Watch the Weather !!!!
  • In a nutshell:Have a Great walk but Please remember to Be Safe !!!!!
  • Last visit to Cumbria: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2014

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Glad to know where the Pro-Tector was born - lovely article in the Whitehaven News ;-)))

• CatherineL's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM

A very interesting 'back yard' indeed. Thanks for sharing.

• rachesuiphilippines's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Hi Rob, Snow in Wasdale pic is so beautiful and very soothing to the eyes. I love it. pearl

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Thanks for your interesting page, Rob!

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM

We loved Keswick and the hills around. You inspire me to return

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Should have read yr pg earlier&I'd have come up for the Wasdale or Eskdale shows!Exellent pg - I will make sure I have a copy if Im ever back up this way!ARe you sure the accom prices are an accurate approximate?have an excellent weekend wherever you are!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Superb opening shot.

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM

AH, very nice! Looks like a great place to visit

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Did you think a comment posted as an accommodation tip here today might have been an ad? I did - d'ye ken?

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Did some virtual travelling in Cumbria, great stuff. Went there during my student days, need to go again...liked esp your mountain pics.

into-thin-air Was Born Here!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Badges & Stats in Cumbria

Have you been to Cumbria?

Latest Activity in Cumbria