"Hadrian’s Wall Walk, Bowness on Solway to Wallsend" Borders by into-thin-air
Borders Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 311 photos
This page is about the Hadrian’s Wall Walk, This is rapidly becoming Britain’s most popular National Trail and it takes you from Coast to Coast, a distance of approximately 84 miles mainly following the original route of the wall
The first choice that you will have to make is which direction you choose to walk the route, As I have previously walked two other Coast to Coast routes, Wainright’s from saint Bees Head to Robin Hoods Bay and The Southern Upland Way in Scotland, I chose to “Do” Hadrian’s wall in the same West to East direction. The main reason for this is so that you have the prevailing wind on your back, but also the transport logistics suited this direction better for me. The downside to walking the route in this direction is that all the Guidebooks are written from East to West as this is the way that the Mile Forts are numbered !!
So Once you have decided your direction the next thing to do is to break the walk down into manageable stages, This will depend on both the time you have available as well as your levels of fitness, we opted for a middle figure of six days walking. I will break the route down as we did it on my Sports Travel Tips.
Once you have come up with your “Plan” the next thing that I would Strongly Advise is to pre-book all your accommodation. The main reason for this is that accommodation near to the trail is somewhat limited so the sooner you start to book up the better !!
Then it is just a case of packing your rucksack (As Light as possible) and getting to your chosen starting point.
The way we did this is as there was a group of four of us doing the walk, and with people coming from as far south as Devon and as far north as Fife I decided to drive my car to Carlisle, Pick up my friends at the train station and drive them down to Port Carlisle where I had arranged accommodation with free car parking for the duration of the walk.
The plan went well and we all met up, got to Port Carlisle, checked into The Hope and Anchor Inn, Ordered our dinner and walked out to Bowness on Solway to the starting point of the “Way” and walked back, now with a good appetite :-)
For the next 6 days we walked across Cumbria and Northumberland to Wallsend, as previously mentioned - . I will break the route down as we did it on my Sports Travel Tips over the next few days as this will give you a starting point to what to expect, I will also list our chosen accommodation in my Accommodation Tips with an appraisal of what we thought of them.
Meanwhile, If you have Any questions on this amazing walk then please feel free to email me.
Thanks for taking the time to read these pages
- Pros:Amazing walk through Awesome countryside
- Cons:The British Weather
- In a nutshell:If you have a spare week, Love the outdoors then you should think about this walk !!
Rucksack Rucksack Pro-Tector Pro-Tector Travel Pouch Trekking Socks (Thurlo) x 2 Inner sock x 2 Evening sock x... more travel advice
The Best meal we had out when walking Hadrian’s Wall was at The Milecastle Inn. Extensive Menu, Friendly Service, Tasty... more travel advice
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Borders Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hadrian’s Wall Walk, Bowness on Solway to Wallsend"
- "Scotland's Gentle Face...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borders
- Hotels in Borders
- Transportation in Borders
- Restaurants in Borders
- Shopping in Borders
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Borders
- 23 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Borders?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borders
Videos in BordersSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 329 reviews, 915 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 56 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- England Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 45 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos
- Aragon Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos