"Rob's Travels" into-thin-air's Profile

The BIG Walk

Job Cracked – Walk Walked and Back Home again
As most of you know, My technology failed me and it’s only thanks to Dot Coupe that this Facebook Page was kept up to date So Thanks Dot – Thanks also to Stephen Hufton for sending a daily pic to give the site some life !!
OK – The walk was a Good One – But it also involved a bit of pain as my knee started to give me a bit of trouble, and at around 660 miles, I had to make the decision of giving up and returning home with my tail between my legs or digging my heals in (Literally) and continuing, accepting that I would do my knee a bit of damage – I chose the latter and just hope that it improves again soon ;-)
I would also like to thank the people who helped me “On the Way” Rob and Cal for their kindness and Jörg Freddy Friedrich for strapping my knee up which enabled me to complete the walk :-)

More info and pics on This Link

29th March and D-Day and if not exactly wall to wall sunshine, at least it’s fine and a good day forecast for tomorrow to get me over Lakelands High Fells – The support vehicle is now ready to go (Thanks again to Rod and Barbara at The Gosforth Hall Hotel and to all my friends who helped with the conversion)
I have drivers to get me as far as the Bristol Area (Thanks to Ken, Pete, Geoff and Dot) and from there if no-one else steps forwards and if Andrew is too unwell to drive his stint then I have a friend who can shunt the vehicle on every few days, so at least I will get some use from it.
I have been offered overnight parking and use of showers etc in about ½ of my overnight stops up to as far as Stafford – Thanks to Bill Lee at Egremont Rotary Club
Thanks also to Jim and Jo at The Barn Door Shop for sourcing me some trekking gear, to The Whitehaven News for helping publicise the event and to Everyone else that has helped in Any Way
I have produced a little flier to hopefully help with getting Sponsorship money in and post a jpeg version here – So IF anyone would like to share it and/or print this off and post it wherever they can then I would appreciate this - After all this is what the walk is Really about.

Thanks again to Everyone who has helped with the planning of this walk – All that is left now is the small matter of walking the 1.000 Miles hoping that my old joints will still be up to the challenge

I have also now started a “Just Giving Page” so if anyone would like to support my walk by donating to Cancer Research and Drug Development at The Royal Marsden Hospital, you can simply do so my hitting This Link

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Best Regards
Rob

Last Trips / Treks

Just back from my 19th Annual walk for cancer research, this time the fist 150 miles on “The Camino Sureste” from Alicante. New pages coming as soon as I get a chance ;-)

Also this Spring I was back to Nepal, the usual dual purpose mission of another Pro-Tector order and a trek in Mardi Himal.
Last year it was the Arun Valley and Everest Base Camp – Both Great trips and updated Nepal pages Here As well as an articles that was published in our local newspaper Here and Here

Over the last 10 years I have been to
2013
Spain - The fist 150 miles on “The Camino Sureste” Pages Here
Nepal - Mardi Himal, Updated Pages Here
2012
Spain - Walking the Camí de Sant Jaume 2 pages Here
Nepal - Trekking The Arun Valley and Everest Base Camp, updated Nepal pages Here
2011
India - Pages Here
Nepal - updated Page
2006
Riga - Pages Here
All Action packed weekend organised by companions2travel in Llangollen, Wales. New Wales page Here
France & Spain, Walking Camino Aragones, Pages Here
Cuba.
2005
Hungary
Austria,
Spain, Walking The Via de la Plata Here
Crete and Gavdos
2004
Scotland, Page under Scotland on walking "The southern upland Way"
Crete
2002
Thailand
Laos and Cambodia,Ikarea and Samos, Switzerland twice Corsica and Rome
2001
Thailand, Crete,Cyprus and Spain to start to walk "The Camino Frances" Page Here

I started to travel when I was 15, I joined the "Royal Navy" as a Boy and stayed in for 12 years visiting lots of countries and wasting lots of opportunities but as a Lad in my teens and early twenties there seemed a lot more important things to do than go and visit the local sights and experience the local culture !!! but I will leave that to your imagination !!!
I left the R.N. at 27 and couldn't settle so soon found myself back at sea again, this time on a full sized replica of Francis Drake's Golden Hinde, I sailed for 18 months on this crossing the Atlantic, sailing through the Caribbean, Panama canal, Galapagos Islands and Finally Mexico -- Acapulco where a cloud came over the city and I left under it !!!
Back home to Cumbria and my " Normal " period !!!! Met a girl " settled down and bought a house -- and felt Very Restricted and Very Cornered so no surprise when that relationship didn't last, --- sold the house and spent the money on a Land-Rover and drove overland to Kathmandu !!

As my motto, I REALLY DO BELIEVE that the best people you meet -- you meet on the road, I live in a small village in Cumbria, My elderly Mother lives with me, unfortunately she can no longer be left on her own for more than a few hours at a time as she suffers from what we politely refer to as memory loss. So now I only get to travel twice a year, one Big trip in the spring and a smaller one in the autumn, when I go away, my Mother goes into respite care. Not that I am complaining of course :-)
So hence my chosen name -- " into-thin-air. i.e. I like to disappear into thin air for a while to recharge my batteries !!!

To fund all my travels I work part time as a driver / assistant for a doctors co-operative taking doctors out to visit patients out of surgery hours and in addition to this I work for myself as a jobbing builder, I find that the combination of these jobs earns enough money and gives me enough flexibility to travel for up to two months a year !!

As some of you know I was diagnosed with None Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 1975, luckily for me I was sent to the Royal Marsden and was successfully treated. This took a period of nine months, the treatment was a series of Cobalt then Gamma rays, followed by six months of Chemotherapy. I was discharged September 1976 (attending outpatients until 2002 when I was finally given the all clear).
I started doing sponsored walks to raise money for cancer research at The Royal Marsden in 1995 and have managed to do one long distance walk every year since -- Making at total of 19 walks so far.

The Via de la Plata was my Longest Ever walk and although I say so myself -- it was something Special !! 1,000 kilometres from Seville to Santiago de Compostela and it raised almost £2,000.
ALL the money that I collect through sponsorship goes to Cancer Research at the Royal Marsden Hospital. I pay ALL my own travelling expenses -- This is My opportunity to put something back into the system that bailed me out of the Deep Poo -- If they hadn't I wouldn't be around now to do the walks !!

Memorable Trips

My Favourite method of travel is walking -- Long distance walking !! This is something that I have really got into over the last 16 years. At the same time as doing the walks I also raise money for Cancer Research at The Royal Marsden Hospital where I was treated for a cancer myself.

I started doing sponsored walks to raise money for cancer research at The Royal Marsden in 1995 and have managed to do one long distance walk every year since -- making at total of 11 walks so far.
1995 -- The Coast to Coast -- 200 miles
1996 -- Offa's Dyke -- 200 miles
1997 -- Coast to Coast of Ireland -- 400 miles (an article on this walk was published in the hospital magazine)
1998 -- Two Moors Way -- 100 miles
1999 -- South Downs way -- 100 miles
2000 -- Cotswolds way -- 100 miles
2001 -- First section of "The Camino Frances" (Spain ) -- 230 miles -- Pages here on V.T. (Spain)
2002 -- Walking in Corsica -- 100 miles (Planned walk went wrong due to lack of accommodation in Corsica -- Bad Information !! ) -- Pages here on V.T.
2003 -- Second section of "The Camino Frances" (Including Finisterre extension) -- 300 miles -- Pages here on V.T. (Santiago de Compostela)
2004 -- Southern Upland Way (Scotland) -- 215 miles -- Pages here on V.T.
2005 -- "The Via de la Plata", 1,000k (630 miles) Pages under "Seville"
2006 -- "The Camino Aragones", 160 miles Oleron Saint Marie to Pamplona. (Pages on Midi Pyrenees)
2007 -- The Camino Portuguese, 160 miles through Portugal & Spain
2008 -- "The camino Primitivo" 220 miles from Villavicosa to Melide, Pages under Asturias
2009 -- The Camino Norte - 200 miles Irun to Santander, Pages Here
2010 – Hadrian’s wall – Pages Here
2011 - The Camí de Sant Jaume Pages Here
2012 - The Camí de Sant Jaume Pages Here
2013 - The Camino Sureste Pages Here
2014 - Rob's Big Walk - Pages Here and Here

(The above list is the walks that I have done to raise money for cancer research at the Royal Marsden Hospital -- I have also done other long distance walks but limit my sponsored walks to one a year)

I Really do believe that the Best way to see a country is to walk through it, You get to the places that are so far off the tourist route that no-one has ever even heard of them, meet Great people, see awesome sites and have wonderful photo opportunities and at the same time keep yourself marginally fit !!

Happy Trekking --Happy Travelling
All the Best
Rob

Memorable Walks

Scotland and "The Southern Upland Way"

My Good friend "Sid" and myself walked the 215 mile length of "The Southern Upland Way" in September 2004 -- this is an Awesome walk and I will recommend it to everyone !!!
Every year I do a long distance walk to raise money through sponsorship for Cancer research at the Royal Marsden Hospital where I once was a patient, My Small way of putting something back into the system that bailed me out of the Deep Poo a few years ago !!! -- This walk raised over £500

Pages that I am Most Proud of !!

Nepal

Nepal is My Favourite country -- I have been there nine times over the past 19 years and Really Love the place. I have trekked in Langtang (Twice), Helambu, Everest (Twice), The Annapurna Circuit and Sanctuary areas as well as Upper Mustang. I have done rafting trips on three rivers and travelled into a few of the lesser known corners. My Nepal pages are my own personal favourites so why not take a look and please remember that if you are planning a trip there yourself and are looking for Good information then please look Here and if you can't find the info you are looking for then feel free to drop me an email and I will do my Very Best to answer your questions

Golden Hinde Days !!

I have been requested to put photo's onto my pages from my Golden Hinde days !! -- so here's a couple to start off with!!!
The first one is of my Girlfriend of the time, Anne as Queen Elizabeth with myself as Frankie Drake -- Please note the legs !!!!
The second one is of the Golden Hinde under full sail -- a Magnificent sight if I do say so myself !!
I spent one and a half years on this ship and consider it my best days -- so far !!
I sailed around Britain before heading off across the Atlantic calling at Tenerife then St Thomas U.S.V.I. a couple of months there doing tv work then onto Virgin Gorda, Saint Martin then through the Panama canal, down to the Galapagos Islands then finally to Acapulco where I left the ship. I could write a book about the adventures that I had on this ship, A Fantastic Time, Hardly the best paid job that I have ever had but oh what a life-style !!!!!!!

The Incredible Flying Bond !!???

A Good Friend of mine Geoff and myself have acquired another Old Vehicle -- a 1957 Bond Mini-Car Mk.D !!!

She won !!! First prise in the Vintage car class on her first outing and since has taken quite a few cups at the small vintage events that we attend around Cumbria -- I have now done a travelogue on the re-build so if you are interested in this sort of thing then please take a look !!!

Here is a Bond photo !! --- Now my Old M.G. has to work for a living again !! -- it now tows the Bond when we go to Classic Car Shows -- what do you think -- Class ??????

Please note ---- all photo's on these pages have been taken by myself and shouldn't be copied without my express permission

• Intro Updated Aug 21, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
into-thin-air's Profile Photo

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Real Name