"Northern Iraq" Top 5 Page for this destination Iraq by canuckmike

Iraq Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,672 photos

Unfortunately just about everyone knows Iraq because of it's modern history of war but it hasn't always been that way. Iraq has been a place I have wanted to visit for a while. It's a place I would have loved to visit in the 1800s. It has the classic flying carpet image for me. Obviously a lot of things have changed as with most of the world. Also I was able to only visit one area of the country. I spent almost all my time here in the Kurdish portion with only a small time crossing into where both the Kurds and Arabs control.

Iraqi Kurdistan is considerably different then the Arab portion of Iraq. It has it's own entry regulations, own stamps, own government and own military. It is relatively safe compared to many other areas in the region and I never felt threatened at all here. There is lots to see here but it's not currently set up for western tourists. Most locals don't seem to care about the amazing amount of history located in their back yard. Oil seems to be the focus. This however is quite nice. You don't find any of the hey my friend, special price for you attitude. It's not a destination for everyone, but if you are willing to give it a chance, you may just be surprised.

• Intro Updated Dec 5, 2012

canuckmike Visits Here Frequently!

“na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!”

Badges & Stats in Iraq