"Helen of the West Indies" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia by canuckmike

Saint Lucia Travel Guide: 526 reviews and 1,487 photos

When I was young I had a fascination with St. Lucia for some reason, maybe I liked it's flag. I never really thought about going there as I started travelling as more exotic destinations grabbed my attention. I once thought about going there but tickets were expensive for the distance travelled so I decided on elsewhere. Then I was planning on a vacation to Colombia. I did my planning and the day before I was going to buy my tickets, my vehicle died. No chance of fixing it. So I decided maybe I shouldn't go travelling. So there I was browsing the internet and I found cheap tickets to St. Lucia. So I decided to see if I could find a cheap place there and I was able to. The flights and the apartment was cheaper than the tickets to Colombia so I decided why not. It ended up being one of the best vacations I've had. It rained a fair bit when I was there but I didn't mind. I didn't talk to other tourists which is unusual for me. I really want to come back to this beautiful island and I probably will.

St. Lucia is an island in Caribbean and in the Windward Islands. The island is located between the French Overseas Department of Martinique to the north and the nation of St. Vincent and the Grenadines to the south. It's called the Helen of the West Indies as it changed hands between the British and French a few times. Although it's officially English speaking, most people speak Creole, or for them Kweyol. The currency it uses is the East Caribbean Dollar which can be used on several of the islands in the East Caribbean.

• Pros:A very beautiful island.
  • Cons:Can be pricey.
  • In a nutshell:One of my best vacations.
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2008

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 2:57 PM

What an adventurous trip to St. Lucia. Great write up and cool tips. The sulfur soap looks menacing. Cheers, SL :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Nice tip on this Drive IN Volcano...wonder if it should be Drive Through Volcano...oh well, I'll put in on my wishlist...:)

canuckmike

“na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!”

Badges & Stats in Saint Lucia

Have you been to Saint Lucia?

Latest Activity in Saint Lucia