"Peleliu" Peleliu by canuckmike

Peleliu Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 36 photos

Peleliu was an island that I wanted to see for the military history located there. Before I went I really didn't know much about the island and the role it played in World War 2. We had the island historian, Tangie, show us around the island and he really made the history come out at you with all his knowledge of Peleliu. I find it to almost describe it as an Iwo Jima that noone really seems to know about. There was some truly vicious fighting that took place on this island. In 2 months over 12,000 soldiers lost there lives. There is still many reminders of the battles that took place here. Peleliu itself is a nice, calming and relaxing place to spend some time. We spent just about 3 days and 2 nights here which was just about enough time to see the topside of the island. I hear there is supposed to be some amazing diving here and would love to check it out in the future.

• Intro Updated Mar 10, 2011

• Aug 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Read the book, "With the Old Breed at Peliliu and Okinawa" by E. B. Sledge to really find out what the battle at Peliliu was like. His memoirs were used, in part, for the HBO series, Pacific. You'll probably want to go back and revisit the island after reading his account of the battle.

• Sep 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I was surfing the internet and stumbled upon your virtual world. Hope you had a great visit to Beliliou (Peliliu). You have a lot of great pictures. Thank you for sharing your trip.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Thanks for a virtual tour of Peleliu. Have not heard of this name until today.

• Apr 17, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Today was both a sad and happy one for me. I was able to figure out that my cousin was killed on Peleliu on 18 Oct 1944. Also thanks to your tips I know I too will be able to visit the battlefield.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 6:44 AM

A fascinating page on your explorations of this remote island! Amazing that so many relics are still lying around. Some 25 years ago I came across similar Japanese war relics in 'nearby' Rabaul and Wewak, while I was working in Papua New Guinea.

canuckmike

“na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!”

Badges & Stats in Peleliu

Have you been to Peleliu?

Latest Activity in Peleliu