"Big Corn Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Corn Island by canuckmike

Corn Island Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 382 photos

Well we were not orginally planning on coming here even though I have thought about a couple of times before. What really made me consider coming here was the diving. Inquired about plane tickets one night and then the next morning we were on a plane coming here.

The Corn Islands throughout the years have belonged to pirates, the British, the USA (kind of) and Nicaragua. They are in an overlooked corner of the Caribbean that lies about 50 km of the coast of Nicaragua. There are two of them in which I only visited one. Big Corn Island (only can be considered big in comparison to the other island) has an area of about 6 sq km big. It is easy to reach Big Corn Island as there are two airlines that service it daily. Also you can catch a boat from Bluefields. I enjoyed this island because I have a fascination with small out of the way islands. One important thing to know is that even though it is considered an English speaking island, a lot of the locals speak an English that is more Creole than English which can be hard at times to understand.

One interesting thing I saw was that I would guess about 95% of the cars here are also taxis. So you should have no problem getting one.

• Pros:Small and fairly remote island that is not overrunned yet.
  • Cons:Didn't really see any effective means of garbage disposal.
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Great tips

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Nice Nicaraguan beach island. Interesting to know about the "Soul of the World" project. The "outdoor" aquarium is cool.

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2007 at 7:53 AM

Nice tips and photos. I see that you enjoyed sunny weather, not rain like when I visited.

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 12:24 PM

very very impressive overview. I'm always eager to read your tips becase they are not just photos with titles (like mine, haha) but they explain a LOT- Thanks ^__^

canuckmike

“na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!”

Badges & Stats in Corn Island

Have you been to Corn Island?