"The Island of Java." Top 5 Page for this destination Java by canuckmike
Java Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 133 photos
I have wanted to visit Indonesia for a while and after a few failed attempts I finally was in the region and took the oppurtunity. Although my time was short I was able to make good use of it and saw some of the sites I wanted to. There are many islands that I wanted to visit but I just spent my time on Java. The main reason I wanted to visit this island was for the Buddhist complex of Borobudur. I only heard of this place a few years ago but when I saw it, it immediately went on the places to visit list. There are a lot more places to visit in the island and many of them are quite wonderful. But if I do get to come back to Indonesia I think I would perfer to spend that time on the other islands.
Java is the powerhouse of Indonesia. It is the centre of the country in basically all aspects. With an area of 130,000 km2 which is small in my Canadian standards and a population of over 120, 000, 000 people which is big in my Canadian standards is a fairly densely populated island. Sometimes it almost seems the island is one big village. This is almost like all the Indonesian islands wrapped into one. With lots of different religious influences, there is a lot of different architecture. This place is also a really good place for souvenirs (I picked up a few). Its landscape is domintated by the volcanoes which are quite active.
- Pros:Easy to get to, grand temples and relatively cheap.
- Cons:Sometimes it seems like you never leave an urban setting.
As soon as I discovered this place, it went on the places to visit list right away. So when I was in Singapore, I had to... more travel advice
Dieng Plateau is an area located a few hours northwest of Yogyakarta that offers a variety of sites. There are temples... more travel advice
canuckmike's Related Pages
Java Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Central Java"
- "Java - Pulau Jawa"
- "The Island of Java."
- ">> one of the main destinations in indonesia..."
- "Imogiri, a gateway to heaven"
- "Kiosk Bensin"
- "JAVA INDONESIA ONE OF THE MANY ISLANDS HERE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Java
- Hotels in Java
- Transportation in Java
- Nightlife in Java
- Restaurants in Java
- Shopping in Java
- Warnings and Dangers in Java
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Java
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Java?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Java
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 85 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iraq Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 22 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 29 reviews, 29 photos
- Solomon Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somalia Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Island Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos
- Peleliu Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos