"The Island of Java." Top 5 Page for this destination Java by canuckmike

Java Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 130 photos

I have wanted to visit Indonesia for a while and after a few failed attempts I finally was in the region and took the oppurtunity. Although my time was short I was able to make good use of it and saw some of the sites I wanted to. There are many islands that I wanted to visit but I just spent my time on Java. The main reason I wanted to visit this island was for the Buddhist complex of Borobudur. I only heard of this place a few years ago but when I saw it, it immediately went on the places to visit list. There are a lot more places to visit in the island and many of them are quite wonderful. But if I do get to come back to Indonesia I think I would perfer to spend that time on the other islands.

Java is the powerhouse of Indonesia. It is the centre of the country in basically all aspects. With an area of 130,000 km2 which is small in my Canadian standards and a population of over 120, 000, 000 people which is big in my Canadian standards is a fairly densely populated island. Sometimes it almost seems the island is one big village. This is almost like all the Indonesian islands wrapped into one. With lots of different religious influences, there is a lot of different architecture. This place is also a really good place for souvenirs (I picked up a few). Its landscape is domintated by the volcanoes which are quite active.

• Pros:Easy to get to, grand temples and relatively cheap.
  • Cons:Sometimes it seems like you never leave an urban setting.
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2008

• FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Great pages Julio and very helpful. I am trying to decide between staying on Java or going to Bali! It's hard!

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM

the giant flaming man's genitals??? hehehe I don't remember this, I was there in 1999. Oh my worst night was sleeping on the floor of the jakarta airpot after I was kicked out from Timor for the war ehheeh

• Bushman23's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Well, i've always wanted to see Indonesia, but you've given me a fair warning. Appreciate the hone4sty in your tips! Keep it up, Ant

canuckmike

“na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!”

Badges & Stats in Java