Istanbul Local Custom Tips by manuelEB
Istanbul Local Customs: 330 reviews and 415 photos
Weapons of Man Destruction
of carrying weapons...
This custom is espeacially scaring for Japanese tourist and visitors. We live in a society where weapons are banned and even the represive forces of the State do not display them like in the rest of the countries that I've visited. What are the chances of an accident? No one knows I just recommend to walk fast cause you would never know what did hit you...
I was told that a number of demonstration in the Istambul Universtiy has to do with the use or abuse of scarfs. This is indeed an explosive topic...
For most of my turkish VT friends this is sensible matter that has to be carefully handled. I do agree with that stance. I do prefer to discuss about the matter than giving simply judges. When I show here this facet of the Turkish society because I loved the country and I want to learn more about it.
Suleyman Mosque surroundings
If this was Spain, Mexico or Venezuela or a VT Forum, this ladies (and ladies alike guys) would be disecting alive the new girl in the neighborhood.
- Did you see her big a*s and they way she use the jeans? Ave Maria Putisima!!!, etc, etc...
In Istanbul Sunday afternoon I think there is less time for such an entertainemetn. The city has been vibrating for centuries with commerce, with explosive political situations... Surely this ladies were talking about more important things than bashing their neighbors.
Church, mosques, synagoges, temples, shrines, VT forums...Perfect places to talk about others.
Inside the Suleyman Mosque I saw these ladies engaged in a dense "conversation". It is evident that there are two listeners and only one speaker.
There is someone teaching and someone learning. Noisy tourist do not distract them. The tic-tac of the big clock added music to the rithm of education.
Why women can not talk to God from the front rows...
There is a nice explanation that I will tell. A bad muslim(as he himself proclaimed it), my guide, told me about...
-Imagine you have a perfect lady in front of you. Think in someone like Geisha_Girl and imagine her in her ejem-boots. Now, tell me: Are you going to concentrate in the religious matters, or will you just ejem her in your imagination?.
To avoid such a conflict of interest, the ladies have to pray behind...Solomonic decision!
But I still have to ask Oiran about her opinion. And to a good muslim for a more accurate explanation.
The road Sahil Yolu coming from the Airport to Old Town follows the south east coast of the europeanside of Istanbul. . I've seen a mixture of names for these waters, Sea of Marmara (Marmara Denizi) should be the right name with some few milliliters of Bosphorous. The strait should start few centimeters Northwest from here. Thing is that you will run having the Sea of Marmara on your right and the defense walls of Istanbul on your left side. The place is a boulevard the hell crowded during weekends. No few are swimming in those waters. Sun-bath is the keyword.
Turkish coffee. No sugar. Enjoyable.
Don't dare to leave the country before having tried this small cup of aromathic beverage. What?!!!
You do not drink coffee? Ok they have turkish
orange Fanta as well... Go ahead!!!
I am just forget how much did I pay for a cup of coffee. It is not on my records. I was not surprised by the price...It means is a reasonable price for the gem.
Fishing from Galata Bridge
I have heard some stupid travellers talking about the dirty fish of the Golden Horn. Here I show the way those dirty fish can be caught from the Galata Bridge. Fathers teaching kids how to fish is a very common ocurrence. They learn patience.They will need it to listen to the stupid travellers. My father did not teach me how to fish. I have not patience with the stupids...
More Reviews (69)
manuelEB's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gorgia Hotels
- Brims Corner Hotels
- Honore Hotels
- Ciales Hotels
- Addo Elephant National Park
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 77 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 116 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsukuba Intro, 133 reviews, 169 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 77 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Iwaki Intro, 64 reviews, 65 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 29 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Japan Intro, 37 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Brugge Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibaraki-ken Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- Nezih Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Istanblue
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2013
- Orient Hostel International
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Saint Sophia Hotel Istanbul
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2013
- Ali Baba Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Sipahi Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Anzac Wooden House
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2012
- Allstar Arcadia Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2013
- Accura Hotel Istanbul
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Topkapi Palace- 305 Reviews, 709 Photos
- Grand Bazaar- 108 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Agia Sophia - Ayasofya- 299 Reviews, 707 Photos
- Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet- 246 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Bosphorus River- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Galata Tower- 100 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Taksim Square- 34 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Basilica Cistern - Yerebatan Saray- 104 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Princes Islands- 29 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Dolmabahce Palace- 105 Reviews, 242 Photos
See All Istanbul Things to Do