"My Home Town" Winkler by Ames24
Winkler Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 5 photos
Winkler is a pleasant place, located just over an hour's drive south of Winnipeg, and about a 20 minute drive from the Manitoba - U.S. border.
Winkler just recently gained the official status of being a "city", with a population around the 10,000 mark. When I was a kid, the population was about 6,500 so it is a very growing community.
It has a thriving economy with a zero percent unemployment rate. Have you ever heard of Triple E motorhomes? Well those are made in Winkler. There is quite an industrial area in town, a shopping mall with Cinemas, and plenty of restaurants and coffee shops. Agriculture is huge in the area, there are numerous villages in the surrounding countryside -- the soil in this particular region is among the best soil for farming in the world.
Winkler is pretty safe. It's a great place to raise a family.
Winkler is a Mennonite town, in a Bible belt stretching across the prairies. By now there are probably around 15 large church congregations, the majority of them Mennonite. Seen here is the steeple of the local Lutheran church.
Winkler Parkland is one place in town where you can get some exercise especially if you're involved in any baseball league. Also at this site is where the Winkler Harvest Festival is held every year in the first week of August. Adjacent to Winkler Parkland (in he rear of the big green area seen in the pic) is Winkler Park where there is treed area with playground, and also Winkler Aquatic Centre, where you can jump into the pool or cruise down the waterslides on a hot summer day. Winkler Arena is also located there, and in the front of the arena, a whole lot full of skateboarding ramps, etc.
Check out my tips for more, if you will happen to be in the southern Manitoba area or passing through, and are wondering what's in that place called Winkler.
- Pros:A good, safe, relaxing place. My parents have a really nice backyard.
- Cons:Winters can be way too cold. And sorry- not much traditional nightlife in this town, it's still "dry".
If you have the time, and if it interests you, take a drive heading south of Winkler and turn off along the highway for... more travel advice
The Days Inn is newer, and has a pool. The Heartland Inn has a restaurant. Pretty much anything you need is minutes... more travel advice
Ames24's Related Pages
Winkler Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Winkler
- Hotels in Winkler
- Transportation in Winkler
- Shopping in Winkler
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winkler
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Winkler?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winkler
Top 10 Pages
- Acapulco Intro, 4 reviews, 29 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yelapa Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Querétaro Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chile Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- Winkler Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Veracruz Intro, 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Edmonton Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 4 reviews
- Estado de Guerrero Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue