"Canyonland National Park - The Needles" Canyonlands National Park by Callavetta
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 476 photos
Getting into the Canyonlands is no small fete. Unlike it's also impressive neighbor, the Arches, it's not quite as accessable for a day trip, but very much worth the 50 or so miles you must drive to get into the park.
Visitors can take the northern entrance and "see" the park from the Island in the Sky, or from the southern entrance and visit the Needles. The park is actually divided into 4 districts; Island in the Sky, the Needles, the Maze, and the rivers that run through the entire area. The very large area is playground to sports people of all types; hikers, climbers, canyoneers, rafting, cycling, 4wheeling... It's an adventure seeker's paradise. It's a land that should be admired and respected.
On our road trip, we were already as far south as Monticello, so we backtracked the 14 miles necessary to take the Needles approach. The next 40 miles was absolutely worth the drive, the approach itself being nearly as scenic as the Park. If your visit allows you more time, and you're so inclined, a mere 3 mile hike will reward you with a visit to cliff paintings that are 4,000 years old.
Doesn't this look like fun? There are campsites available in the park and while some are in groves of trees, many are tucked under big rock outcroppings. All rooms come with a view!
Sometime the vastness of this place leaves one forgetting to look at the small things. This little guy was taking in the sunshine.
- Pros:Vast with unbelievable rock formations
- Cons:Not easy to get to
- In a nutshell:While it's not easy to get there, it's definitely worth the effort.
Callavetta's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 31 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Canyonlands National Park hotel reviews
- Squaw Flat Campground
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013