"Diary of a Mad Sherpa" Wisdom by Callavetta

Wisdom Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos

Escape from "The Hole"

We had a harrowing day yesterday. Decided to go for the quicker route on the way to Hamilton and it ended up being a 3 hour detour.

We started through a really gorgeous valley called Big Hole (how fitting) and stopped for lunch an hour into it at the Big Hole Cafe. It was delicious! Then on up the pass for the next 27 miles to the connection that would put us just 34 miles from our destination. 3 miles from the top I got completely stuck. Couldn't go forward anymore (snow too deep on the highway), trying to go backward put me into a slide and spin. I'm pretty calm in adversity but I gotta say I was panicking.

A kindly passerby started trying to direct me out of my delimma "straighten out the wheel!" It's straight!!! The car is still sliding into the snow bank. Finally he got out of his truck (all this in the middle of the snow deep road on a hill with a bend ahead (BLIND)). He and John pushed to no avail. "You're going to have to turn around and go back downhill. Sheesh. Easier said than done. Now I"m stuck sideways on the hill, blind curve, with my nose in the snowbank. More pushing and pulling. Tiny progress back and forth, kind stranger yelling at me (I never realized how much I dislike being yelled at). And we get pointed downhill. Stranger jumps in his truck and goes up the hill. John jumps in my car and we head back to Wisdom.

For 24 miles my insides are a churning mass of mess and I'm scaird to death my bowels are going to let go! (sorry, too much info but it was a big part of my misery). We FINALLY arrive back in Wisdom, where I hurry (butt cheeks clinched) into the bathroom of a smoky saloon.

John wanted to spend the night in Wisdom. (A saloon that celebrates smoking!) I just wanted to get out of the "Hole" and insisted we move on. 4 hours later (driving on snowy interstates in the dark) we arrive in Hamilton where John's friends are expecting us for dinner. Turns out they MADE dinner for us. We showed up at 9 pm. Of course we called about 7:30 when we were getting in range.

What a day. Pictures of the Hole to come.

Tomorrow we drive to West Yellowstone (6 hours, weather not-withstanding) and then Tues. hopefully do the snowcoach tour. We haven't booked a tour and it seems the hotels in West Yellowstone are very busy so hopefully we'll get on one. We are reluctant to book ahead given the likelihood of having to stay somewhere unexpected due to weather.

Good old Big Sky Country. Damn Steinbeck! It's hard being a Sherpa!

Forgot to mention the "Reader's Digest short story" part of the event. We pull into the Saloon parking lot and are getting out of the car (carefully clenching) and up drives the white truck with the kindly stranger. Where the HELL did he come from? He went the other way and never passed us. He apologizes for "barking at me". I, of course am saying... "nonsense! I am SO grateful to you!!" Then off he goes and disappears. I think he might have been my guardian angel!

• Last visit to Wisdom: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2006

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM

All came right in the end though Kath. I've tried to pitch our story to a couple of American magazines but it's been the usual "thanks but no thanks" replies - any thoughts on a magazine that might be interested?

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Wisdom was "in Heaven" and "I could live here forever" - no where near approaching that word! Might have been for you tho' HA!

• masc4s's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 10:37 AM

Very discriptive Katherine. What a hoot, but then I wasn't there.. At least you were in the right place for an impropmtu bowel movement... the Big Hole!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Butt cheeks clenched hahahahahahahahahaha, love it, love it Kat, i hope your bowels are stable now LOL

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 8:55 AM

WOW, what an ordeal. It is good to see your sense of humor come through but I cannot blame you for being on the verge of panic. Teeth and "tush" tightly clenched you made it through! LOL Enjoy Yellowstone it must be pretty in the snow. Kat

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 8:44 AM

Wow, big white truck! Do you suppose God uses color as his trademark? ;) Damn Steinbeck! Callavetta, butt clenching and all, this story reminds me of something I would do, same reactions - great story!

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 7:48 AM

Hahaha, I'm just relieved you lived to tell the tale, my friend! Try to remember, the worst road adventures usually make the best travel stories at the end of the trip, right?...E-hugs, Wendy

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Wisdom