"Weekends in Boston" Boston by Callavetta

Boston Travel Guide: 3,800 reviews and 8,028 photos

Alternative Life forms in Boston

One of the best things about working for a Company with locations all over the world is the chance to spend time in places on the weekend following business. On my second trip to Boston in this manner, I felt I got to know the city much better and have really fallen in love with it.

While I worked, Jill visited the Boston Acquarium where she took some great photos of the sealife on display.

Boston Skyline from a boat in the harbor

This trip we took a group of co-workers on a Harbor Cruise to celebrate their anniversary of being part of our Company. I truly believe that getting out on the adjoining water is a great way to see any waterfront City. Boston is no different. The view of the Cityscape as we left was just beautiful.

Boston Commons

Manhattan has Central Park, San Francisco had Golden Gate Park, Denver has Washington Park. It seems every big City has it's bit of green where one can go and escape the hustle and bustle of the City. In Boston it's Boston Common. This particular weekend it was mostly brown, still not recovered from Winter. The lagoon was empty and the famous "Swan Boats" won't be out for a few more weeks. But kids played on the trees, the hillsides and the statues.

I would have loved to see Boston Commons the week before, when it was covered in snow. The rolling hills look like excellent sled runs and you can't help but think of the snow people who must have dotted the Commons.

• Pros:A city steeped in History
  • Cons:Much of the history has been built over
  • In a nutshell:Irish pubs, the Freedom Trail, Italian restaurants and seafood
  • Last visit to Boston: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The bus tour no doubt showed the city-but yea-$29 is not for me. I was here 2 years ago and saw some great sites that you have discussed, but missed the cruise. Nice discussion.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 1:57 PM

i always hate conducted tours in buses - you have reminded me why

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Boston