"Keystone, Colorado - 9,400 feet closer to heaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone by Callavetta
Keystone Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 119 photos
Billed as the "Nature of the Rockies", Keystone seems the most environmentally friendly of the Summit County resorts. Developers take great pains to insure that man made features are added in concert with the natural beauty of the area.
In 2002 I bought a second home here. Since then, it calls to me. I check the resort website daily to look at the minicams (updated every 5 minutes) to see what I am missing. And when I get back to my home in the forest I am most happy.
While winter is the most crowded time in Keystone, it's truly beautiful every month of the year. And each month has its charms.
In summer rates are much lower and the crowds thin dramatically. Wildflowers abound when they have bloomed their last at lower elevations. Cycling, hiking, golf, tennis and boating become the sports au jour.
What a winter it's been! At 154% of normal, Summit County has had more snow than seen in decades. Amazingly, it seems like a fresh sprinkling of powder comes at night and just before the weekends, leaving the mountains perfect for weekend skiers. But I really love the weekdays, when it's relatively quiet and I feel like all this beauty is just for me.
I've gotten good at digging out my car, driving the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to town, watching my car's automatic tracking take over because it thinks I don't know what I'm doing, and picking the least slippery spot in the parking lot.
As I write this, it's a frigid 4 below (F) and too cold to snow much.
Winter is definitely SUV and 4WD time. But in the summer it's "top down and enjoy the scenery. Ripping around mountain curves with a view of the world is the way to live. But be sure you get back by early afternoon. The clouds come in and the daily thunder storm is not when you want to be a lightening rod!
- Pros:Every turn gives you another glorious view
- Cons:If you aren't used to higher elevations it can take awhile to get acclimated.
- In a nutshell:9400 feet closer to heaven
Here's the webcam photo at 11 am on Tuesday, 2/7/06. www.snow.keystone.com more travel advice
Lorna and Jill relax and share a beverage at one of the cafes along Keystone Lake. In summer, it's a pleasant way to... more travel advice
- See All Changing Weather Conditions
- See All Chocolate!
- See All Fall in Keystone
Callavetta's Related Pages
Keystone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keystone, Colorado - 9,400 feet closer to heaven"
- "Where to start?"
- "Spring Skiing"
- "dusty powder and all the coors you can drink"
- "keystone rules"
- "The one place we will keep going back!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Keystone
- Hotels in Keystone
- Transportation in Keystone
- Nightlife in Keystone
- Restaurants in Keystone
- Shopping in Keystone
- Warnings and Dangers in Keystone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Keystone
- 36 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Keystone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keystone
- updated a Keystone Travelogue "A walk in April"
- Posted in Travel Big Sur Forum "Re: From Big Sur to San Francisco"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Keystone travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Keystone, Colorado - 9,400 feet closer to heaven"
- Wrote a Review Mountain Webcam 2/7/06 in Keystone Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 31 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue