"Keystone, Colorado - 9,400 feet closer to heaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone by Callavetta

Keystone Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 119 photos

My Colorado LIfe

Billed as the "Nature of the Rockies", Keystone seems the most environmentally friendly of the Summit County resorts. Developers take great pains to insure that man made features are added in concert with the natural beauty of the area.

In 2002 I bought a second home here. Since then, it calls to me. I check the resort website daily to look at the minicams (updated every 5 minutes) to see what I am missing. And when I get back to my home in the forest I am most happy.

While winter is the most crowded time in Keystone, it's truly beautiful every month of the year. And each month has its charms.

In summer rates are much lower and the crowds thin dramatically. Wildflowers abound when they have bloomed their last at lower elevations. Cycling, hiking, golf, tennis and boating become the sports au jour.

Winter in Keystone

What a winter it's been! At 154% of normal, Summit County has had more snow than seen in decades. Amazingly, it seems like a fresh sprinkling of powder comes at night and just before the weekends, leaving the mountains perfect for weekend skiers. But I really love the weekdays, when it's relatively quiet and I feel like all this beauty is just for me.

I've gotten good at digging out my car, driving the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to town, watching my car's automatic tracking take over because it thinks I don't know what I'm doing, and picking the least slippery spot in the parking lot.

As I write this, it's a frigid 4 below (F) and too cold to snow much.

Summer cruising

Winter is definitely SUV and 4WD time. But in the summer it's "top down and enjoy the scenery. Ripping around mountain curves with a view of the world is the way to live. But be sure you get back by early afternoon. The clouds come in and the daily thunder storm is not when you want to be a lightening rod!

• Pros:Every turn gives you another glorious view
  • Cons:If you aren't used to higher elevations it can take awhile to get acclimated.
  • In a nutshell:9400 feet closer to heaven

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM

looks like lots of fun!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Outstanding page w/great snow photos & detail. What fun here - wish I had seen this during the last heat wave! So ready for winter - grazie for great tour, <(•¿•)>

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 8:42 AM

really great page- looks to be stunning place to be

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I like the new updates, Katherine!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Nice tips!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 11:58 AM

What a gorgeous area and how fortunate for you that you have access to such beauty. Stunning photographs and enthusiastic, descriptive, exciting narratives.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 9:49 AM

Came back for another look. Have never tried golf that high. Tahoe was what 4500? Perhaps it would help my game. Merry Christmas Katherine!

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 12:19 PM

Great tipps about this mountain pearl. After skiing in Canada I guess next time I try Keystone. Cheers, Peter

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Katherine, you had quite a trek, but oh how lovely your route was...congrats on the accomplishment!

Callavetta Used To Live Here!

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Keystone

Have you been to Keystone?