"Cycling from SF to Sausalito" Sausalito by Callavetta
Sausalito Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 331 photos
One of my favorite ways to spend a day is with a ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. On this ride, there are three places that we can catch a ferry for the ride back to the City. the first is Sausalito. Starting at the Palace of Fine Arts, this ride is not more than 12 miles in total and takes in some of the most incredible views one could ask for.
Riding into Sausalito, from the Vista Point at the north end of the bridge is strictly a downhill affair. At the bottom of the hill, riders find themselves right on the bay. Stop and take a look back at the city from here.
In Sausalito there are a variety of things you can do. There is a charming Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. The town has loads of cute shops, art galleries and interesting restaurants and cafes. One of the best things about being out of the City, is the views that you will get OF the City. The SF Bay Model is a fun place to spend a couple of hours learning the peculiarities and ecology of the local environment. Bike paths extend north to Mill Valley and Tiburon.
In September, Sausalito is home to one of the biggest Art, Wine and Music Festivals in the Bay Area.
Houses tumble down the hillside in Sausalito, much like on the Amalfi Coast. Although hanging out in Sausalito proper can be very crowded and very touristy, the asthetic properties of the area are one of the things that make it impossible for me to ever give up a foothold in the San Francisco area. Get out onto the bay, or ride through on a bike. It's something you must see to believe.
- Pros:Salsalito is a great place to view the City from
- Cons:Crowded with tourists and traffic
Sausalito has a "neighborhood" of houseboats. There are warrens of these floating abodes at the north end of the city.... more travel advice
I think my very favorite way to get to or from Sausalito is by ferry. For visitors to San Francisco, looking to escape... more travel advice
Callavetta's Related Pages
Sausalito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sausalito - a village by the bay"
- "A Bay Cruise to Sausolito"
- "Sausalito a nice little City across the S F Bay."
- "A quaint town across the bay from San Francisco"
- "Are these Sausalito Sally's?"
- "Cycling from SF to Sausalito"
- "A quick tour of Sausalito"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sausalito
- Hotels in Sausalito
- Transportation in Sausalito
- Nightlife in Sausalito
- Restaurants in Sausalito
- Shopping in Sausalito
- Warnings and Dangers in Sausalito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sausalito
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sausalito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sausalito
- Posted in Travel Big Sur Forum "Re: From Big Sur to San Francisco"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Sausalito travel pages
- Wrote a Review One of the Best Views in Town in Sausalito Restaurants
- updated a Sausalito Travel Page "Cycling from SF to Sausalito"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cycling from SF to Sausalito"
Photos in SausalitoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 31 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue