"Welcome to Mountain View" Mountain View by Callavetta

Mountain View Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 22 photos

Home to Google, Shoreline Park & Fiesta del Mar!

In the heart of Silicon Valley, Mountain View is home to many world class technology companies. But it seems that Google's campus (originally built for Silicon Graphics) is the current sweetheart of "Valley". Recently it did a deal with the City to make the entire city WI-FI. By installing routers on light poles, you should be able to take a wireless device anywhere in the city and get fa ree wi-fi connection. (Google is said to be working with the City of San Francisco to do something similar)

And Google does appear to be an extraordinary place to work. Click here to read about Employee perks and environment at Google's Mountain View campus. That said, I've sent my resume (CV in Britspeak) to Google in response to ads that match my background exactly and received the canned letter "thank you but we don't currently have any openings.... yada yada yada". Ah well. I guess they are going for a better class of employee! Or maybe I have an age discrimination suit!

My favorite thing to do in Mountain View is ride my bike at Shoreline Park. There are miles and miles of baylands trails and levies. You can ride in a car free environment all the way to the Palo Alto Airport and beyond. We used to have a Wed. ride that was a 15 mile loop trail. When we finished we'd head on over to my favorite restaurant for fish tacos and margaritas!

Shoreline Lake

You can rent a sailboat or a windsurfer. Lessons are available for the uninitiated. Or just bring your beach chair and sit on the lawn overlooking the lake and relax with a good book.

Go fly a kite

At the entrance to the park there is a designated place to fly kites. This is because a dozen years ago, when you could fly kites anywhere in the park, a small plane caught the kite of one flyer who stoicly hung on for a mile or two!

• Pros:City of the future - wi-fi for everybody
  • Cons:Expensive price of homes!!!
  • Last visit to Mountain View: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2006

Comments

Callavetta Visits Here Frequently!

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Mountain View

Have you been to Mountain View?

Latest Activity in Mountain View