Healdsburg Things to Do Tips by Callavetta Top 5 Page for this destination
Healdsburg Things to Do: 46 reviews and 110 photos
One of my favorite winery stops, less for the wine than the uniqueness and historic value of the building, is Hop Kiln. The big barn-like tasting room is home to friendly employees. Behind the building is a lovely pond with picnic tables. This makes this a great spot to take a break and enjoy a picnic lunch.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Late Harvest Wines, Riesling, Zinfandel
Address: 6050 Westside Road
Phone: (707) 433-6491
Sausal is a small, friendly, especially pretty winery where the tasting room folks are friendly and the wine is poured rather freely. Check out the Cellar Cat Red, dedicated to the pussies who live on the premisses.
Address: 7370 Highway 128, Healdsburg, CA
Directions: Found along Highway 128, in the Alexander Valley
Other Contact: Toll free (800) 500-2285
Take the 128 Exit from Hwy 101 and drive through the vineyards and orchards just north of Healdsburg. This medium sized winery has a beautiful, friendly tasting room and the folks here will share their knowledge with you. Tours of the wine caves can be arranged by appointment. There are picnic tables on the grounds.
While you're here, ask about the Wine Club. This winery has a yearly gathering where teams get together to create "wine club blends". The best blend becomes one of next years' offerings.
By now, I'm ready for lunch so this is my next stop. This is a big beautiful place, built in the style of the French Chateau, with gorgeous gardens and fountains, fabulous views of the valley, a very commercial tasting room, and a great restaurant (which they call a cafe). Meals here can be on the pricey side but everything I've had has been sumptuous and service is very attentive. Best of all, however, is the view of the valley from the wall of windows. I've also had dinner here in a February, next to a roaring fire. But I missed the view. I recommend the lunch.
UPDATE: As of 3/1/06 this property has been acquired by Frances Ford Coppola. What was once the French Chateau is now becomming an Italian Villa. The day we were here in May, the winery was holding a "moving in sale". The lovely restaurant is still in operation and according to the beauty in the tasting room, many of the employees have stayed on.
My one touristy stop on this route is Korbel, the sparkling wine producer. This is where I recommend stopping for awhile to take the guided tour. The trip through the facility is informative, well set up (and a cool respite on a hot day!) Beautifully landscaped, the gorgeous old buildings and surrounding vineyards are a photographer's dream. In the tasting room you can quench your thirst with a line of sparkling wines, brandies and even grappa. You can also load up on picnic supplies. Across the road, the Russian River meanders along through the vineyards and redwood forests.
Address: 13250 River Road, Guerneville,, CA 95446
Phone: (707) 824-7000 / (800) 799-6000
I like to finish off this day with Seghesio, another family owned winery that has only recently opened their tasting room to the public. They are located in Healdsburg proper (close to one of my favorite places to stay, which I will talk about later) so from here it's a quick hop back to the B&B to rest before setting out for a gourmet dinner. Seghesio has great old vine Zinfindels and delicious Sangiovesi.
Address: 14730 Grove Street
Phone: (707) 433-7764 (866) 734-4374
Continuing in along Dry Creek Road I bypass the many, many wineries (you may like to explore and discover your own favorites) until I get to Raffanelli, a small, family owned winery with a great Zinfindel (incidently, Dry Creek Vintners are known for their world class Zins.) The only problem with this winery is you're limited to a purchase of 6 bottles!
Address: 4685 W. Dry Creek Road
The Villa at Ferrari-Carano
Next stop, Italy. This beautiful winery is built like an Italian villa and their Siena is my all time favorite wine. Continuing on to Dry Creek Road, just before you get to Lake Sonoma you'll find Ferrari-Carano. Another commercial tasting room, with lots of wine fripperies, Italian pottery, clothing and gadgets for sale. Tasting is complimentary unless you try some of the private reserve or library wines. Then the $3.00 tasting charge is deducted from any wine purchase you make. F-C also has fabulous gardens that are open for touring between 10 and 5.
More Reviews (6)
Callavetta's Related Pages
Healdsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Picture-Perfect Town--Healdsburg!"
- "A Less Crowded Weekend in the Wine Country"
- "Wineries Galore!"
- "Healdsburg, California"
- "2 Nights in Healdsburg in September"
- "Healdsburg - Former Prune & Hop Town"
- "One Night Stay in Northern Sonoma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Healdsburg
- Hotels in Healdsburg
- Transportation in Healdsburg
- Restaurants in Healdsburg
- Shopping in Healdsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Healdsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Healdsburg
- 14 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Healdsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Healdsburg
- Posted in Travel Big Sur Forum "Re: From Big Sur to San Francisco"
- Wrote a Review Helpful Signposted Roads in the Wine Country in Healdsburg Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Helpful Signposted Roads in the Wine Country"
- updated a Healdsburg Travel Page "A Less Crowded Weekend in the Wine Country"
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 31 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chateau Souverain- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Healdsburg Plaza- 1 Review, 1 Photo
- Bella Vineyards- 1 Review, 4 Photos
- Zichichi Family Vineyard- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Preston Vineyards- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Martorana Family Winery- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Yoakim Bridge Vineyards- 1 Review, 2 Photos
- Dutcher Crossing Winery- 1 Review, 2 Photos