"It's the Journey, Not the Destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Big Sur by Callavetta

Big Sur Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 886 photos

Pacific Coast Highway

(But fill up your gas tank before you get there!
Today, April 7th, gas prices in Big Sur were the most in the entire U.S. $3.79/gallon for regular!)

When my e-pal, Mina, said that she had set a goal to run in the LA Marathon just 4 months away I was in awe. "You do it", I told her,"and I'll be at the finish line. So when the March 7th date neared and she was up to 20 miles at a pop (up from walking a mile!), I figured I'd better plan on going to LA.

Daughter Jill, and I headed out, the day before the race. We decided to make an adventure of it and drive at least part of the way on the Pacific Coast Highway, also known as California Highway 1, which hugs the coastline with twists and turns.

The drive, while not for the timid is incredibly beautiful and we managed to be there in perfect weather.

Recent rains scared the mountain-sides and left piles of recently tumbled rocks on the side of the road. It really made you realize what a catastrophe it would be should one happen to pass through at the wrong moment.

• Pros:One of the most beautiful routes in the US
  • Cons:Twisty, curvy, falling rocks and sharp cliffs. Not for the timid.
  • In a nutshell:It would be a shame if you died without seeing this coastline.
  • Last visit to Big Sur: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2005

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM

This - I miss! Grazie for lovely tour.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 2:15 PM

great page Katherine!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Immortalized in photographs by Edward Weston and Ansel Adams. I wished I had driven through this area in 1980.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Beautiful pics of Big Sur---how inviting this area looks, Katherine! I would love to see it sometime and just soak up the natural splendor!!!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Thanks for your Birthday wish! Good to learn that I could dive at Big Sure for my next trip the scenery above water looks great too ;-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 8:26 AM

looks a great place to visit. well written stuff

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Nice Big Sur page!

• bluebug's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 2:09 PM

I had great weather the day I took those pics, but my last trip I unfortunatly did not get to see the sun once!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 7:47 PM

Very nice page Katherine Lori & I were here last year and we loved the PCH from L A to San Francisco it is indeed on eof the nicest areas anywhere

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2005 at 9:08 AM

Some stunning photo's Katherine...I'm still waiting to see my first whale! Happy travels, Blu

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Big Sur

Have you been to Big Sur?