"The Engiadina" Zuoz by Callavetta
Zuoz Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 65 photos
After three incredibly hot weeks in Europe (three people died of heat stroke at the Pope's mass in Dubrovnik the day after I left), I escaped to relatively cool 80 degree temperatures in the Engiadina. There I hooked up with three e-pals for a week of hiking, biking, sampling nut tortes, drinking copious amounts of wine and general gossip and mayhem.
The Engiadina is a great place to see some of the best of the Swiss Alps. We based our stay in Zuoz, a charming town with perhaps more cows than human souls. The train station provided easy access to the many other destinations we explored while in the Engiadina.
OK, so it sounded great on paper.... a hike with a 600 foot elevation descent. A beautiful hike from Soglio to Stampa. Right up my alley. And as we followed the "trail" down a million stone steps it was truly beautiful. So chalk it up to the temperature (90 degrees), the altitude (about 6000 ft.), poor hydration, travel fatigue... the descent was over and I kept peeking around the corner for the Stampa, where we would connect with the Postbus and ride back to St. Moritz. But around every corner was more uphill trail!
I must say my travel partners did not have the trouble I did. And I was very grateful to the poor elderly Romanch speaking woman who was recruited by a towns person to give me a ride the last couple of kilometers!
All through the Engiadina there are wonderfully marked trails connecting one village to the next. We took a wonderful bike ride from Zuoz to Zernez. You can rent dual suspension mountain bikes (about 25 swiss francs for half a day) at most train stations. For a slightly higher rental rate you can return the bike to another station.
The trail was mostly gently rolling, with a few challenging climbs and a few more steep descents (that required the recollection of my "dirt camp" skills). In Zernez, we had a yummy pizza lunch and took the train back home. A very fun day.
- Pros:Everywhere you turn, gorgeous scenery
- Cons:A little pricey
Callavetta's Related Pages
Zuoz Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Zuoz
- Hotels in Zuoz
- Transportation in Zuoz
- Restaurants in Zuoz
- Shopping in Zuoz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zuoz
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Zuoz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zuoz
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 31 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue