"The Engiadina" Zuoz by Callavetta

Zuoz Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 65 photos

How to Escape a European Heat Wave

After three incredibly hot weeks in Europe (three people died of heat stroke at the Pope's mass in Dubrovnik the day after I left), I escaped to relatively cool 80 degree temperatures in the Engiadina. There I hooked up with three e-pals for a week of hiking, biking, sampling nut tortes, drinking copious amounts of wine and general gossip and mayhem.

The Engiadina is a great place to see some of the best of the Swiss Alps. We based our stay in Zuoz, a charming town with perhaps more cows than human souls. The train station provided easy access to the many other destinations we explored while in the Engiadina.

Soglio - The Hike that nearly Killed me

OK, so it sounded great on paper.... a hike with a 600 foot elevation descent. A beautiful hike from Soglio to Stampa. Right up my alley. And as we followed the "trail" down a million stone steps it was truly beautiful. So chalk it up to the temperature (90 degrees), the altitude (about 6000 ft.), poor hydration, travel fatigue... the descent was over and I kept peeking around the corner for the Stampa, where we would connect with the Postbus and ride back to St. Moritz. But around every corner was more uphill trail!

I must say my travel partners did not have the trouble I did. And I was very grateful to the poor elderly Romanch speaking woman who was recruited by a towns person to give me a ride the last couple of kilometers!

Cycling from Zuoz to Zernez

All through the Engiadina there are wonderfully marked trails connecting one village to the next. We took a wonderful bike ride from Zuoz to Zernez. You can rent dual suspension mountain bikes (about 25 swiss francs for half a day) at most train stations. For a slightly higher rental rate you can return the bike to another station.

The trail was mostly gently rolling, with a few challenging climbs and a few more steep descents (that required the recollection of my "dirt camp" skills). In Zernez, we had a yummy pizza lunch and took the train back home. A very fun day.

• Pros:Everywhere you turn, gorgeous scenery
  • Cons:A little pricey
  • Last visit to Zuoz: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written Jul 16, 2003

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2005 at 7:04 AM

The Engadin is one of my favorite areas. Fewer tourists and wonderful hiking according to your experience. We did try a hike from one village to another but no steps or climbs. Don't you just love the idea of small restaurants everywhere ?

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 8:31 PM

Switzerland at its finest .. even if it was hot ;-\

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2004 at 12:49 PM

looks idyllic :-)

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2003 at 8:43 AM

I regret so much that I missed the GTG! Luckily you survived the hike!!

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Zuoz