"Studying Abroad" Top 5 Page for this destination Tübingen by Callavetta

Tübingen Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 240 photos

A Californian in Tubie

My daughter Lorna is studying abroad this year at the University of Tubingen. She's having the most remarkable experience. The program is through the California State University, San Francsico. She is spending the first semester cramming as much German as possible so that she can take her regular course of study in the Spring Semester.

I found this live webcam at the Markplatz in the town of Tubingen. I find myself looking at it several times a day. One evening (her time) Lorna called me from her "handy" (cell phone) marveled at how lovely the city was from the bridge spanning the Nekkar. I asked how far she was from the Markplatz. "5 minutes", she replied. So she walked there and I looked at her while we talked.

Her sister in San Francisco was also online so I IM'd her to look and she watched as well. Then Lorna said "Hold on, I've got call waiting". It was Jill in San Francisco, stealing my phone time!

Update: 2/3/05 Lorna continues to have a fabulous experience. If you'd like to read more about a college student in Tubingen check out Lorna's journal

Update 2/25/05 I've returned from my visit to Tubingen. It was really a surprise to find out that Tubie is not a small hamlet, but quite a large thriving city. The University, with its teaching hospital, obviously has an impact on the flavor of the city, but the Alstadt is the most compelling tourist attraction.

Much of the beautiful life in Tubingen is clustered around the banks of the river, with glorious old houses spilling down the hillside and weeping willows hanging down into the water.

It snowed the five days I was here and unfortunately, while I could see that sunnier times mean beautiful flowers everywhere, things were either black or white.

• Pros:Tubingen is a wonderful Southern German University Town
  • Cons:So far I haven't heard about any negatives
  • In a nutshell:Mom! I've run out of money!
  • Last visit to Tübingen: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2005

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Beautiful pictures... we missed Tübingen much to our dismay!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 6:29 AM

Fabulous Tubingen page, Katherine! Goethe puked here - beautiful!!!! :P Tell Lorna her photos are just too fabulous. :D

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2006 at 8:10 AM

gothe puked here - priceless

• Mar 10, 2006 at 8:41 AM

now i now what wonderful views of the city are in green. I saw it in winter time only

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Looks like Lorna is a budding photographer, great shots. I have some schway bee in me and believe my mother's family is from very near this city. Thanks for some idea of what it looks like and for enjoying my dreamy portrait of S.F. too.

• Dec 3, 2005 at 10:22 AM

Hi Katherine, what a lovely city!that Spaetzel sounds delicious! Great page - thanks :)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 8:04 PM

Guten Haben Katherine! - once again only a smattering, and probably very mis-spelled, ach at least I can speak English (hehe!!).

• Aug 15, 2005 at 2:47 PM

Isn't the internet amazing, the things we can do these days! Thanks for sharing your stories and photos!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 12:08 AM

What did your daughter say to that question?

• ronaldbarr's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 9:59 PM

Greetings to you Katherine from Ireland. I have a friend who lives in the centre of Tubingen and I have been there. You have captured it well. It is a wonderful place to visit in June when it is quite hot! Best wishes. ronaldbarr

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Tübingen

Have you been to Tübingen?

Latest Activity in Tübingen