Paris Hotel Tips by Callavetta

Paris Hotels: 265,987 reviews and 2,100 photos

Lorna enjoys breakfast in her apartment in Paris - Paris

Lorna enjoys breakfast in her apartment in Paris

And pretend that you're a Parisianne: Rent an Apartment

If your visit to Paris is a week or longer, rent an apartment. I will no doubt cost you less than a hotel and you'll be able to spread out and relax. There are several websites that will help you with this. Or you can rent directly through the owner at www.vrbo.com. An apartment gives you more space, allows you to prepare some of your meals on your own, and allows you to feel part of a neighborhood.

Lorna and Jill spent a week in Paris this month and had an apartment on the Ile St. Louis. It averaged about 100 euro a day.

Unique Qualities: Remember that in Europe the 4th floor is really the 5th US floor (ground floor in Europe is called ground floor, not first floor). Many buildings do not have elevators. So if you get an apartment on the 4th floor, that means you'll be walking up 5 flights of stairs every time you come "home".

Also, most apartments require the payment in full in cash upon arrival. It can be tricky to show up in Paris with that many euro. Also, most will require an equivalent amount in depost which will be returned when you leave.

Theme: Other

• Written Jun 9, 2007
A Latin Quarter bargain - Paris

A Latin Quarter bargain

Minerve: 3 Stars? Minerve Review

We stayed at Hotel Minerve in 1999 for one week. My two most vivid memories are "pink" and very noisy. Other than that, this is a pretty basic option in the Latin Quarter. We had a double room. We didn't elect the breakfast option. The room was not luxe by any standard and construction on the building nextdoor began promptly at 8:00 am. We also got snapped at by the desk clerk when we came in laughing one evening. That was disconcerting given how noisy the room was all day!

Unique Qualities: The most compelling thing about this property is the price. Doubles start at 98 euro. Sub 100 euro rooms in Paris are a real rarity.

All rooms have airconditioning.

Address: 13 rue des &coles, , Paris, Île-de-France 75005

Phone: 33 - (0) 1 43 26 26 04

Price: US$40-80

Website: http://www.hotel-paris-minerve.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written May 12, 2005
Hotel Nikko Paris, France: Business Chain in Paris Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel Review

We stayed here one trip because of our infatuation with the same hotel in San Francisco. This HUGE hotel is part of a Japanese chain, and lacks French touches. Our room was still small (as most in Paris) but the bathroom was upscale. We did have wonderful views of the river and not so wonderful views of neighboring buildings.

The common areas are very spacious and we did enjoy the big hotel bar. This seems to be a very popular hotel with business people and airline crews.

Unique Qualities: Our wake up call was birds chirping!

Note: This hotel is now owned by the Novotel Chain.

Address: 61 Quai De Grenelle, 75015 Paris

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: On the Seine, past the Eiffel Tower (about 1/2 mile) adjacent to the "Statue of Liberty".

Price: US$120-180

• Written Oct 4, 2004
Best Western Derby Eiffel: Comfort with a view of the Eiffel Tower Best Western Derby Eiffel Review

The Derby Eiffel was my very first hotel in Paris, in fact, my first ever experience in Europe.

I was surprised how small the rooms were and the bathroom was just functional (I'm picky about bathrooms!) After subsequent trips, I think it rated about a 5 on my scale of 1 to 10 in Paris accommodations; very clean, very basic, a nice view of the Eiffel Tower, but small and undistinguished. The location is convenient and in a real Paris neighborhood. But the neighborhood has hotels with more distinction and atmosphere.

Address: 5 Avenue Duquesne, 75007 Paris

Comparison: about average

Hotel Cluny Square - Paris

Hotel Cluny Square

Hotel Cluny Square: Overlooking the Paris Rooftops Hotel Cluny Square Review

I was lucky enough to be introduced to this hotel when I arrived late one afternoon in Paris to find that my reservation at another Latin Quarter hotel had gotten confused (probably my mistake) and the hotel was full. The helpful man at the desk (and people say Parisians are rude), called around, and found me this alternative hotel at a discounted rate, and walked me to Hotel Cluny, Square so I would not get lost!

What a lovely surprise my room was. I had a double room, although I was a single, and therefore got a rare double bed. The room had french doors opening on to a balcony that overlooked Cluny Square, and the wonderful characteristic rooftops of the area.

I was even more amazed when I found more french doors and another balcony access in the very modern, well appointed bathroom!

There are scores of restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. in the neighborhood.

Unique Qualities: This is one of the rare places that I bought the hotel breakfast (I think it was 10 euro). It was wonderful to sit in the breakfast lounge, and indulge in the French coffee, the hot croissants and rolls and the fresh squeezed orange juice.

Address: 21 boulevard Saint-Michel, , Paris, Île-de-France

Directions: Metro : Saint-Michel, Odéon
RER B and C : Stations Saint-Michel, Cluny Sorbonne

Parking in the neighbourhood.

Other Contact: Paris@hotelclunysquare.com

Phone: Tel. : 33(0)1 43 54 21 39

Website: http://www.hotelclunysquare.com

Relais Bosquet - Paris

Relais Bosquet

Hotel Relais Bosquet: My new favorite Hotel in Paris Hotel Relais Bosquet Review

I've stayed in nearly a dozen hotels in Paris, and this is my only repeat. And right now I think it's my favorite. Paris can be an pricey place to get a room. And often, a couple hundred Euros will get you a very small room indeed.

On my early visits to the City of Lights, I preferred staying in the very popular, very crowded and very busy Latin Quarter. Today I find I feel much more "at home" in this charming area, just down the street from Rue Cler, and a 10 minute walk from the Eiffle Tower.

Relais Bosquet offers very comfortable, pleasantly attractive rooms with very modern, luxurious bathrooms. Front rooms have windows opening onto Champs de Mars and a view of the top of the Eiffel Tower. From my bed I can watch the twinkly lights.

Breakfast is offered, for a price, but the morning smells of the boulangerie right next door wake me and beckon. A block away is the famous Rue Cler market street with an assortment of cafes, shops, and interesting things to see and do.

Unique Qualities: Parisians live in this neighborhood. They shop in the little specialty shops, they eat in the brasseries, they stop for a drink at the cafes. While there is no paucity of tourists in the area, it's completely unlike the Latin Quarter and area around St. Germaine. It's not busy and noisey and bustling like the neighborhood near the Louvre, the Opera House and the big department stores. I love the feeling of "coming home" at the end of the day. There is no shortage of excellent restaurants in the neighborhood.

Also, the staff is exceptionally welcoming and helpful. There is also free internet in the reception area.

The hotel has also added two apartments to choose from, in the neighborhood. They look wonderful and I will try to stay in one of them on my next visit.

Address: 19, rue du Champ de Mars, , Paris, Île-de-France 7

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Metro stop Ecole Militaire is about a block away from the hotel.

Other Contact: Fax : 33(0)1 45 55 08 24

Phone: Tél : 33(0)1 47 05 25 45

Website: http://www.hotelrelaisbosquet.com/

Hotel Quai du Voltaire - Paris

Hotel Quai du Voltaire

Hotel Quai du Voltaire: A Room with a View Hotel Du Quai Voltaire Review

Hotel Quai du Voltaire has the decided advantage of being directly across the Seine from the Louvre. The hotel is definitely dated and worn, but for the price, our room and view during the Christmas Holidays, couldn't be beat. We had large french doors that opened to a "balcony" which you could not go out on. But by sitting there on New Year's Eve, we were able to enjoy the relative warmth of the indoors while watching the festivities in the city below.

The room was small but clean. And the bathroom had a nice shower. The staff was not terribly helpful and seemed to prefer no actual communication with us. There is a petit breakfast room downstairs, where a slow service of croissants and coffee could be obtained.

Unique Qualities: Because of it's location on the Seine, the hotel can be both noisey and bright. When the Bateaux Mouche boats when by at night, their enormous spot lights would light up the entire room.

The closest metro stop, at Musee d'Orsay, was about half a mile away.

Address: 19 Quai du Voltaire

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: Directly across the river from the Seine

• Written Sep 1, 2003

Callavetta

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate”

Badges & Stats in Paris

Have you been to Paris?

Latest Activity in Paris

Visiting Paris?
Read real reviews about Paris Hotels!

Top 10 Paris Things to Do