"Mission to Mazatlán" Mazatlán by klarson
Mazatlán Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 779 photos
I spent a week in Mazatlán with a team from my church doing mission work in the Mazatlán "colonias" (housing districts). For details on the work we did, take a look at my travelogues.
Mazatlán is a city of contrasts. We stayed in Las Flores hotel in the "Gold Zone" (tourist area) right on the beach. Just a few miles away, people live in dire poverty.
One of the most beautiful things about Mazatlán is it's children. Though many of them live in poverty, they have such beautiful smiles!
I also noticed that almost no one begged from us. I have been in other third world nations, and there were always beggers. In Mazatlán, though, it seemed that people would rather work than beg, even if it was washing windshields in the road and then asking for a tip.
If you like to have fun in the ocean, Mazatlán is a great place for it! We stayed right on the ocean. It was so nice to jump in the water after a hard day's work in the colonias. There were some good waves to go body boarding on. It was a bit interesting, since there was this island right off the coast which caused the waves to come from two directions at the same time!
I would not recommend Mazatlán for snorkeling or scuba, though. The water is kind of murky.
- Pros:Nice surf, smiling children, good food!
- Cons:Air pollution (mainly from cars), murky water.
- In a nutshell:Muy Bien y Muy Caliente! (Very nice and very hot!)
Don't bother with Señor Frogs. It's just an overpriced store like you could find in any touristy place or shopping mall... more travel advice
klarson's Related Pages
Mazatlán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mazatlan Surf, sand and sun.."
- "Mazatlan - Just after Y2K bug destroyed the world"
- "Mazatlan Mexico by Kimberlyann"
- "guybert's Mazatlan pages!"
- "Mazatlan - Sunshine, Smiles, & Seafood"
- "Some Good Values in Mazatlan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mazatlán
- Hotels in Mazatlán
- Transportation in Mazatlán
- Nightlife in Mazatlán
- Restaurants in Mazatlán
- Shopping in Mazatlán
- Warnings and Dangers in Mazatlán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mazatlán
- 3 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Mazatlán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mazatlán
Top 10 Pages
- Mazatlán Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Albany Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Paulo Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atibaia Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Iron River Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campinas Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos