"Living in Paradise" Kailua-Kona by klarson
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 813 photos
In October of 1999, I moved to Kailua-Kona to work with Youth With A Mission there. I lived in Kona for over two and a half years. This was the first time in my life living in the tropics, and also the first time living outside of the midwest.
Kona (the real name is Kailua, but since there's another Kailua on Oahu, most people just call it Kona since it's in the Kona district) is generally very sunny and dry. It is on the leeward side of the Big Island of Hawaii, so does not get too much rain. Most of the rain comes late in the afternoon or evening when it does rain.
- Pros:Warm weather, sunshine, aloha spirit
- Cons:Isolation - can get island fever after awhile!
- In a nutshell:A Place to Enjoy Summer All Year Long!
Want to know how to get up near the top of Hualalai (the volcano mountain above Kona)? Take Palani Road out of town... more travel advice
klarson's Related Pages
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kona Coast Visit"
- "A Fun Day in Kona"
- "Where Pele lives"
- "Kona Coast"
- "Kona and Kau"
- "On the Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua-Kona
- Hotels in Kailua-Kona
- Transportation in Kailua-Kona
- Nightlife in Kailua-Kona
- Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
- Shopping in Kailua-Kona
- Warnings and Dangers in Kailua-Kona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Kailua-Kona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona
Photos in Kailua-KonaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Mazatlán Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Albany Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Paulo Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atibaia Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Iron River Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campinas Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos