"My Adventures in Gallup and "Indian Country"" Top 5 Page for this destination Gallup by KristyB

Gallup Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 99 photos

Gallup IS Exciting

I am serving as an Americorps*VISTA member in Gallup and before I moved here from Washington State, anyone who had heard of Gallup asked "Why Gallup?" with near disgust. I have now realized that most of these people probably just passed through Gallup on their way somewhere else without realizing the rich history and amazing landscape of this area.

Recently I have been to many Anasazi ruins and rock climbing galore. Also there are tons of amazing mountain biking/running trails all over the place. Check out the hogbacks that go right through the east part of town for a real challenge.

Canyon de Chelly

Canyon de Chelly is the true start of the Grand Canyon, it is also the home to many Anasazi cliff ruins. Spider rock pictured here is the birthplace of the Spiderwoman, an important figure in Navajo folklore.

I have visited here twice and hope to go back more before I leave here. The valley is so beautiful from Spring through fall. I highly recommend hiking down to Whitehouse ruins, the only place you can actually enter the canyon itself at unless you have hired a Navajo guide.

To get there from Gallup you should get a map. It is in Northeastern Arizona on the Navajo Reservation. Get an Indian Country Map, it's the best way to get around.

Chaco Canyon

Chaco Canyon is about two hours drive from Gallup.
This place is amazing, you can walk right up to the ruins and pictographs left by the ancient Chacoans. Check out the museum at the visitor center, it is amazing how a people in the middle of the desert ended up with seashells and mackaw feathers.

Beware: If you are taking the road coming from the South towards Chaco Canyon, do not go if the weather had not been dry. I almost got stuck on the 20 mile dirt road a few times and it was terrifying.

To get there from Gallup, take I-40 East to Thoreau and then go North on 371, follow the signs to Chaco.

• Pros:An experience like no other in the country.
  • Cons:It takes more than a day to fall in love with this place. Passing through you may detest it.
  • In a nutshell:Gallup is a culture in and of itself, there is so much to do here, you just have to open your eyes.
  • Last visit to Gallup: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2003

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Looking forward to a visit here in November - proving that the USA can still be travelled by non-drivers! Gillybob greetings

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2004 at 12:40 AM

Great stuff here, Kristy! I'd love to see more photographs of this beautiful place. Take care of yourself... Siddharth

• topmarmot's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 3:22 PM

The Oasis Cafe is still going as of last weekend....

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 1:45 PM

Great info on Gallup. I once spent the night here on a cross country trip (mostly in a Motel 6). :-)))

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 10:17 AM

Great tips! Really nice work. I've had my share of laughs in Gallup! Thanks!

• Jun 9, 2003 at 8:54 PM

Excellant presentation..Good narration..Pages filled with beautiful phtographs..Exhaustive coverage with lots of useful information and nice tips..Highly useful to a traveller...Wishing you a happy BIRTHDAY

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2003 at 2:38 PM

Beautiful page: good info and photos

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2003 at 12:06 PM

We want more ... we want more (and the crowds are going crazy (-: ). I missed this place on my SouthWest States tour. Now I can visit it thanks to you. Big smile from NL ... Paul

KristyB

“Mingle with the locals and travel off the beaten path.”

Badges & Stats in Gallup