"BARANOVICHY" Baranavichy by sihi
Baranavichy Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 30 photos
Baranovichy is a city in western-central Belarus in Brest Oblast. It is 6 largest city in the country. Baranovichy is large railway junction and university city.
Baranovichy was first mentioned in 1706 - originally called Baranowicze as a private property of a Polish family named Rozwadowski. In 18 century it became a Russian territory in effect of Partitions of Poland. Village started to grow and became a town. In 1897 its population was 4 600 inhabitans.
During the Polish-Soviet war it was reclaimed by Poland. In 1919 it received the city rights. In 1921 population of Baranowicze had grown to 11 000. 67% of them were Jews, the rest - Belarusians, Poles, Russians.
In 1939 Baranovichy had 30 000 inhabitans and was one of the largest cities in Nowogrodek Voivodship.
During the World War II city became a part of Soviet Union and Belorusian SSR. In 1991 Baranovichi became a part of independent Belarus.
Lenin square is a main and most significant square in Baranovichy. It is the heart of the city, it locates on the... more travel advice
sihi's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Baranavichy
- 11 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Baranavichy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baranavichy
Photos in BaranavichySee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 63 reviews, 97 photos
- Johvi Intro, 57 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos
- Ida-Virumaa Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Baranavichy Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos
- Narva Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Chelmno Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Szczecin Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos