"BARANOVICHY" Baranavichy by sihi
Baranavichy Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 28 photos
Baranovichy is a city in western-central Belarus in Brest Oblast. It is 6 largest city in the country. Baranovichy is large railway junction and university city.
Baranovichy was first mentioned in 1706 - originally called Baranowicze as a private property of a Polish family named Rozwadowski. In 18 century it became a Russian territory in effect of Partitions of Poland. Village started to grow and became a town. In 1897 its population was 4 600 inhabitans.
During the Polish-Soviet war it was reclaimed by Poland. In 1919 it received the city rights. In 1921 population of Baranowicze had grown to 11 000. 67% of them were Jews, the rest - Belarusians, Poles, Russians.
In 1939 Baranovichy had 30 000 inhabitans and was one of the largest cities in Nowogrodek Voivodship.
During the World War II city became a part of Soviet Union and Belorusian SSR. In 1991 Baranovichi became a part of independent Belarus.
Railway as important part of city life and history. There is large railway museum created in Baranovichy. It is open-air... more travel advice
There is no old town in the city - old architecture from Polish times is not preserved till now. Old Baranowicze was... more travel advice
sihi's Related Pages
Baranavichy Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Baranavichy
- Transportation in Baranavichy
- Restaurants in Baranavichy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baranavichy
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Baranavichy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baranavichy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 63 reviews, 97 photos
- Johvi Intro, 54 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos
- Ida-Virumaa Intro, 29 reviews, 28 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Baranavichy Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Narva Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Chelmno Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Szczecin Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos