". .:::I D A - V I R U M A A:.::. ." Ida-Virumaa by sihi
Ida-Virumaa Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 171 photos
Ida-Virumaa(Eastern Viru) county is situated in the north-eastern part
of Estonia, stretching from the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland
to the northern shore of Lake Peipsi.
The first human settlements of Ida-Virumaa date from the Neolithic
period. The ancient name of the region- Alutaguse- was first mentioned in 1241. Because of strategic position Ida-Virumaa has, through ages, been the battlefield of great wars.
Ida-Virumaa has many nice examples of old architecture. They are Purtse castle/stronghold, founded in 1553,
Johvi church/stronghold-13rd century, fortress of Hermann in Narva, Narva townhall and churches etc.
For decades travelers have been enchanted by the picturesque ensemble of both Puhtitsa Orthodox monastery in Kuremae.
The most remarkable landscape forms are the North-Estonian limestone shore, Vaivara Sinimaed(Vaivara Blue mountains) and Kuremagi(Stork Hill). Saka-Ontika-Toila limestone shore, Muraka marsh, the northern coast of
Lake Peipsi, karst landscape of Uhaku, Kurtna lakeland and Toila-Oru park are sights that will delight a nature-lover.
Ida-Virumaa has 7 towns:
Johvi-the capital of county, Narva, Kohtla-Jarve - capital of Estonian industry, Sillamae, Kivioli, Narva-Joesuu, Pussi.
In year 2010 Ida-Virumaa was 2nd the most visited regions in Estonia after Tallinn!!!
If you have any questions about Ida-Viru please e-mail me!
Ida-Virumaa region is known of its artifical mountains and Kiviõli town is known of its highest artifical mountains. In... more travel advice
Holiday House is one of few guesthouses in Alajõe village near lake Peipsi. Guesthouse has two floors, 60 bed places,... more travel advice
sihi's Related Pages
Ida-Virumaa Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ida-Virumaa
- Hotels in Ida-Virumaa
- Nightlife in Ida-Virumaa
- Restaurants in Ida-Virumaa
- Shopping in Ida-Virumaa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ida-Virumaa
- 128 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ida-Virumaa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ida-Virumaa
- Posted in Travel Poland Forum "Re: Other castles in Krakow to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mountain extreme sports - highest mountain"
- Wrote a Review Mountain extreme sports - highest mountain in Ida-Virumaa Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Video to Ida-Virumaa
- updated a Ida-Virumaa Travel Page ". .:::I D A - V I R U M A A:.::. ."
Videos in Ida-VirumaaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 63 reviews, 97 photos
- Johvi Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos
- Ida-Virumaa Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Baranavichy Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos
- Narva Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Chelmno Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Szczecin Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos