"Complete Playa Zacundo Guide" Zancudo by shadowtill
Zancudo Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 12 photos
Not uncommon that there is not much on this site about Zacundo. The simple reason is that it is one of the jewels of the southwest of the country.. a destination that most travelers never get to. Playa Zacundo is a small town (Population 300) located on the gulf which is known for it's great beach and great fishing. You can get to Zacundo two ways, via road or via Boat Taxi from Golfito. The taxi takes about 50min but costs about $100. From Golfito you can take a taxi to Zacundo for about $35 which is a wild and crazy ride which takes 2 1/2 hours and takes you across the Rio Claro river ferry. (This ferry has the best Ceviche de Pescado in the entire country.. locals agree)
The town is a mixture of local ticos and Ex-pats.. the southern west is mostly Americans, the center of town Itallian and the North mostly ticos.
The three main draws of Zacundo are:
1) The Beach.. which is mostly sandy and palm tree lined... it is one of the only true beaches in the southern peninsula. The farther northeast you go (farther into town) the calmer the tides and the better the swimming.
2) The surf.. while it is not as popular as pavones.. the southern (towards the American side) part of town has some great breaks... and there a FAR fewer surfers here than anywhere else in the area.
3) The fishing... Texas John and Roy's are the two main players here.. Roy's (located in the north of town) has 14 boats for charter.
- Pros:Nice Beach, Good Food, Tough to get to
- Cons:Tough to get to, bring your DEET.
- In a nutshell:A great out of the way place to surf, fish, eat or just hang
shadowtill's Related Pages
Zancudo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Playa Zancudo, Costa Rica"
- "Into the Wild....."
- "Complete Playa Zacundo Guide"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zancudo
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Zancudo?Share Your Travels
No friends yet.