Riga Off The Beaten Path Tips by Lilasel
Riga Off The Beaten Path: 47 reviews and 131 photos
Lido Atputas centrs is one of the largest corner-jointed buildings in Europe, hosting up to 1000 guests, presenting a unique type of wooden building. Latvian and European kitchen, 3 kinds of LIDO home-made unfiltered beer. Live Latvian folk music every evening 19.00 - 23.00 in the Beer Cellar. Children and their parents can enjoy special attractions and entertainment, open-air dancing, concerts, fairs and presentations. On Sat and Sun children can attend the "Family Days" where they can dance, sing, draw or just have fun together with their favourite fairytales heroes. To get to this family restaurant take bus No.A17 from central post or tram No.7 or 9 up to "Dzervju iela" or "Krasta masivs".
Other Contact: 76 Krasta iela (Kengarags)
Phone: Tel. 750 44 20
The 19th century Russian Orthodox cathedral on Brivibas iela was converted to an astronomical observatory during the anti-religious Soviet era. Since independence it's been restored to it's proper use, though locals still refer to it as the 'Planetarijs'.
Location: Brîvîbas 23
This clock has always been a favourite meeting place of the Latvian youth and is strategically located next to the Freedom Monument.
Location: Corner of Brivibas iela and Aspazijas bulv.
Alberta Street carries the name of the man who founded Riga. Now it is one of the most beautiful and splendid streets in the city, representing all tat Jugendstil can offer. The construction of this street took place in a rather short period of time - from 1901 till 1908. The authors of the magnificent buildings are M.Eisenstein, N.Mandelstam and K.Pekshens.
These buildings are rich in picturesque details, free composition and perfect performance. You will find astonished faces, masks, large number of different animal sculptures etc.
Riga is rich in parks and gardens. Trees, bushes and lawns girding the old part of the city offer a relaxation.Bastion hill was created from 1857 to 1859 to replace the old defensive sand walking street. Cascades and many trees made it one of the most visited parks in Riga.
Location: Separating Old Riga from the new centre
More Reviews (25)
Lilasel's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "A liveable city"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 30 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 83 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 24 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 27 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Megève Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yvoire Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (130)
- St. Peter's Church- 60 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Central Market- 25 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Old Town- 50 Reviews, 126 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 48 Reviews, 105 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 39 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Dome Cathedral- 33 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Art Nouveau Buildings- 32 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Three Brothers- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Orthodox Cathedral- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do