Riga Favorite Tips by Lilasel
Riga Favorites: 54 reviews and 80 photos
The view from St.Peter's Church
Favorite thing: The highest point from where you can admire the panorama of Riga is the Television Tower (1 Zakusalas krastmala, tel. 710 86 43, 10.00 - 16.00, admission: 0.80Ls). In the Skyline Bar of the Reval Hotel Latvia (26th floor), 55 Elizabetes iela, 16.00 - 02.00, you can admire the view over the city in a comfortable way, enjoying your drink... On top of St. Peter’s church (19 Skarnu iela, tel. 722 94 26, ticket: 2 Ls) you can get a real good look at the Old Town rooftops.
Favorite thing: Throughout this century, Jurmala has been Riga's playground, from the elegant days of the 1930s to the years of occupation. Jurmala was also the ultimate destination for the Soviet Union's elite retirees.
It might cheer you up to know that the beaches at Majori and Bulduri have been awarded the coveted mark of any self respecting beach community worth its weight in tourist dollars, the prestigious Blue Flag.
Favorite thing: Attend any Latvian hockey match and you’ll undoubtedly see people wearing red and white-striped hats with furry brown ears. The ears in fact are one of Latvia’s most interesting symbols. Lachplesis (the bear slayer), hero of the epic poem of the same name, was the superhuman defender of the land from evil forces. Like all mythological protagonists he wasn’t all man in the sense that he had bear’s ears. Ironically he could kill bears with his bare hands not to mention Latvia’s enemies. On November 11, Latvians commemorate their fallen heroes who sacrificed life and limb to defend their nation. A sombre event, Lachplesis Day is marked by the lighting of candles in apartment windows and by Riga Castle.
Favorite thing: Riga is supposedly named after the Ridzene or river Riga that was filled in approximately one hundred years ago. It is still possible to trace the old riverbed along some streets in Vecriga (Old Riga), namely Valnu. The meaning of the word Riga is still disputed to this day and the fact that a similar word does not exist in the Latvian language further complicates things.
Favorite thing: Riga is divided into 6 regions and suburbs. In the centre between the Daugava River and the city canal the historical part of Riga - Old Riga is situated. Take a walk through the labyrinth of medieval streets. Gothic churches and ancient buildings remind you of the Middle Ages. Old Riga contains over 150 architectural monuments. It's really worth to see! During your walk I'm sure you will feel that you have made a journey back in the time. A foreigner who is here for the first time can even lose his way. But we, Rigans, are so happy to be lost here... And after couple of hours we always open a door of any cozy bar or cafe....It is difficult to explain, you should feel this atmosphere by yourself! Welcome!
More Reviews (25)
Lilasel's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- "Ice Cold in Riga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 30 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 83 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 24 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 27 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Megève Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yvoire Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (130)
- St. Peter's Church- 59 Reviews, 135 Photos
- Old Town- 49 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 46 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Central Market- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 37 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 27 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Dome Cathedral- 33 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Art Nouveau Buildings- 30 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Daugava River- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- St. John's Church- 19 Reviews, 32 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do