"Vezelay" Top 5 Page for this destination Vézelay by Lilasel
Vézelay Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 198 photos
About 10 years ago famous Russian cellist and conductor Mstislav Rostropovich played Bach's suites for unaccompanied cello in the church of Madeleine at Vezelay.
"I had always thought that if I were to record Bach, it would have to be in a beautiful church. Not because it's religious music: for me the important thing was to play Bach in an empty room and in a place that would encourage concentration and spirituality. A lot goes on in an empty church. Subconsciously, I was looking for a church that would meet my criteria, and until then I hadn't found one. Then I visited the restaurant of a noted chef, Marc Meneau, in Vezelay. My wife and I had a feast. We were due to leave on the Monday morning, but Marc said to me: "You mustn't leave the area until you've seen this church I want to show you." I told him that I was in a hurry, that I didn't have a minute to spare. He insisted that I should see it that very day. When I entered the church of LB Madeleine I crossed myself from the sheer joy of discovering it. And I began preparing to record there."
This village (17 km from Avallon) is famous by two bridges (les deux ponts): big one (Grand Pont, finished in 1874,... more travel advice
Facing the hill of Vézelay, the feudal château of Bazoches, built in the 12th C., has four towers and a keep around an... more travel advice
Lilasel's Related Pages
Vézelay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The irresistable pull of Vezelay"
- "Vezelay, the Crusaders Town"
- "RICHARD the LION HEART was HERE"
- "Heavenly beautiful"
- "Where Tourism, Art & Religion Merged: The Pilgrims"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vézelay
- Hotels in Vézelay
- Transportation in Vézelay
- Restaurants in Vézelay
- Shopping in Vézelay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vézelay
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Vézelay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vézelay
Photos in VézelaySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 83 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 24 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 27 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Megève Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yvoire Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue