"Winterset - Madison County, Iowa" Winterset by blanter
Winterset Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 78 photos
Winterset is a quiet town in rural America, in the middle of cornfields. It is known as the birthplace of John Wayne, a famous actor. The home where he was born is preserved as national heritage. There is a nice square in the center, Courthouse Square, which contains almost all brickstone buildings in Winterset, and the Courthouse building in the middle of the square, that can be easily confused with a church. However, most people know Madison County as a place where the book and the movie "The bridges of Madison County" are set. There were 14 covered bridges in the county, only 6 survived: Hogback, Cedar (it was lost due to an arson in 2002 and replaced by a replica), Roseman, Cutler-Donahoe, Holliwell, and Imes. All can be easily visited in three hours. See my tips for the pictures.
The oldest remaining brodge in Madison County, and the furtherst one from Winterset (about 30 minutes East). Similarly... more travel advice
Located in the town park of Winterset (parking and admission free). There is actually no river beneath, only a hollow.... more travel advice
blanter's Related Pages
Winterset Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bridges of Madison County"
- "The romance and lure of Madison County"
- "Winterset - Madison County, Iowa"
- "John Wayne, Covered Bridges, Middle America"
- "Madison County and John Wayne"
- "Nobbe's new Winterset page"
- "Bridges of Madison County...so romantic! :)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winterset
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Winterset?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterset
Photos in WintersetSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Winterset Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Rostov Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Hanoi 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Koz'modem'yansk Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Hue Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Wadi Rum Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Petra Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bethlehem Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kopor'ye Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues