"Petra" Petra by blanter
Petra Travel Guide: 1,022 reviews and 2,664 photos
Before traveling to Petra, I saw that everyone says it is absolutely fantastic, but I never managed to understood why. Now, after I have been there, I can explain.
1) It is a giant Nabathean cave city. There are some caves (tombs) which are hard not to notice, like the Treasury, the great tombs or the Monastery. There are others which you just pass by, since there are thousands of them.
2) It is an inhabited cave city. The vedouins really live there (probably they also have usual houses, but most of the caves are used).
3) It is embeded in a fantastic landscape - multicolored (mostly red) rocks, with views from the tops; colors change with the time of the day. Narrow canyons, one of them you are sure to pass - it leads from the entrance. Plenty of hiking opportunities.
4) If this is still not enough, there are remains of Greek and Roman constructions.
It is very hard to give an adequate impression in pictures, since the colors are hard to catch. This is why I ws not so much impressed before the visit, and probably you will not be much impressed by my pictures. Anyway, they are composed into two travelogues.
Nothing fancy about it, but just good quality food. You pay for the buffet (JD7 in April 2005) and separately for... more travel advice
Assuming you are in good physical condition, 1) Show up at the ticket desk very early, preferably just before the... more travel advice
blanter's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- Winterset Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Rostov Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Hanoi 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Koz'modem'yansk Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Hue Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Wadi Rum Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Petra Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bethlehem Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kopor'ye Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues