"Petra" Petra by blanter

Petra Travel Guide: 989 reviews and 2,529 photos

Before traveling to Petra, I saw that everyone says it is absolutely fantastic, but I never managed to understood why. Now, after I have been there, I can explain.

1) It is a giant Nabathean cave city. There are some caves (tombs) which are hard not to notice, like the Treasury, the great tombs or the Monastery. There are others which you just pass by, since there are thousands of them.

2) It is an inhabited cave city. The vedouins really live there (probably they also have usual houses, but most of the caves are used).

3) It is embeded in a fantastic landscape - multicolored (mostly red) rocks, with views from the tops; colors change with the time of the day. Narrow canyons, one of them you are sure to pass - it leads from the entrance. Plenty of hiking opportunities.

4) If this is still not enough, there are remains of Greek and Roman constructions.

It is very hard to give an adequate impression in pictures, since the colors are hard to catch. This is why I ws not so much impressed before the visit, and probably you will not be much impressed by my pictures. Anyway, they are composed into two travelogues.

• Last visit to Petra: Apr 2005
  • Intro Written Apr 23, 2005

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 7:05 AM

Quite impressive pictures, I feel as if I'm back in Petra again. :) Happy travels!

• coceng's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2005 at 3:41 AM

I am impressed with your photos maybe becasue I was there ! :) Please check my night photos along The Siq in you have the time, okay. Regards.

Badges & Stats in Petra