"Big Sky, Montana" Big Sky by GroovyDoc
Big Sky Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 86 photos
Well, I didn't have a lot of information about Big Sky before my trip, so I couldn't prepare too much. So, I will try to provide some useful information on this page for those who might be planning a winter/ski trip to the area.
Big Sky is a small area that is nestled alongside Lone Mountain. It is about a 45 minute drive from Bozeman (or you can arrange a shuttle transfer) and 90 minutes from West Yellowstone. It's a great place to go ski/ snowshoe, especially if you are interested in seeing Yellowstone National Park (see my Yellowstone page).
Be sure to rent a car with 4 wheel drive. I flew into Bozeman and out of Jackson Hole, so I used Avis. I got a Chevy Tracker and it worked just fine on the snow/ice covered roads.
There are a few places to rent skis and snowshoes, but the main one is at the foot of the main gondola/lift area. There's a ski school there, too, if you need lessons. The people there were very helpful and friendly, and I must say that the cost of lessons was much less than at Vail- the only other place I've skied.
Big Sky is known for less crowded lift lines and slopes, which I appreciated greatly. I never had to wait in a line for the lift and I never felt rushed or claustrophobic going down the slopes. We had great ski conditions with new snow two of the four days, and beautiful clear sunny days.
great trails, convenient rental location, and only $14 a day. more travel advice
Booked the Huntley but got upgraded to the Shoshone. It was a one bedroom, but there was a Murphee bed in the living... more travel advice
GroovyDoc's Related Pages
Big Sky Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Sky, Bigger Than Life!"
- "Big Sky, Montana"
- "Fishing in Big Sky"
- "Delightful surprises in Montana"
- "Big Sky Montana"
- "Big Sky - If you love to ski!"
- "Big Sky Ski Tips"
- See All...
- Hotels in Big Sky
- Transportation in Big Sky
- Restaurants in Big Sky
- Shopping in Big Sky
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Sky
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Big Sky
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Big Sky?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Sky
Top 10 Pages
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 4 photos
- Vail Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Alaska Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 11 reviews
- Big Sky Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Waterbury Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Lyndonville Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
Latest Big Sky hotel reviews
- Huntley Lodge
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2013
- The Lodge at Big Sky
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Rainbow Ranch Lodge
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Big Sky Resort Village Center
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- 320 Guest Ranch
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Skycrest Condomiums at Big Sky Resort
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2011
- Shoshone Condominium at Big Sky Resort
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Big Horn Condominiums at Big Sky
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013