"Big Sky, Montana" Big Sky by GroovyDoc

Big Sky Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 94 photos

Winter Trip Planning

Well, I didn't have a lot of information about Big Sky before my trip, so I couldn't prepare too much. So, I will try to provide some useful information on this page for those who might be planning a winter/ski trip to the area.

Big Sky is a small area that is nestled alongside Lone Mountain. It is about a 45 minute drive from Bozeman (or you can arrange a shuttle transfer) and 90 minutes from West Yellowstone. It's a great place to go ski/ snowshoe, especially if you are interested in seeing Yellowstone National Park (see my Yellowstone page).

Be sure to rent a car with 4 wheel drive. I flew into Bozeman and out of Jackson Hole, so I used Avis. I got a Chevy Tracker and it worked just fine on the snow/ice covered roads.

Great Skiing

There are a few places to rent skis and snowshoes, but the main one is at the foot of the main gondola/lift area. There's a ski school there, too, if you need lessons. The people there were very helpful and friendly, and I must say that the cost of lessons was much less than at Vail- the only other place I've skied.

Big Sky is known for less crowded lift lines and slopes, which I appreciated greatly. I never had to wait in a line for the lift and I never felt rushed or claustrophobic going down the slopes. We had great ski conditions with new snow two of the four days, and beautiful clear sunny days.

• Last visit to Big Sky: Feb 2003
  • Intro Written Feb 18, 2003

Comments

GroovyDoc

“go wherever the mood takes you”

Badges & Stats in Big Sky

Have you been to Big Sky?

Latest Activity in Big Sky