"Didn't See the Fort, But Finally Found the Grave" Fort Washakie by mrclay2000
Fort Washakie Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 15 photos
In this Cheyenne-Arapaho enclave in central, rural Wyoming, stop at the gas station to ask specific instructions on finding this disputed resting place of Sacajawea, the young Indian woman who helped to guide Lewis and Clark on their historic voyage of discovery.
The grave is covered with prayer beads and gifts from children. If you're lucky, you might arrive when the graveyard is empty, but down the street (depending on the hour and the day of the week) you might hear the Arapahoes chanting in their private ceremonies. This is hallowed ground, and whatever may be the claim of the other disputed sites in the Dakotas, this place deserves attention for history buffs ready for a break from the road.
- Pros:Takes minutes to reach from the federal highway
- Cons:Takes hours to reach from any other point of interest
- In a nutshell:Sacajawea and family might lie here - Thanks for your help!
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Fort Washakie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Washakie, Wyoming"
- "Southwest Adventure '02 ~ Ft. Washakie, WY"
- "Didn't See the Fort, But Finally Found the Grave"
- "Basaic Fort Washakie Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Washakie
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Fort Washakie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Washakie
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos