"One of America's Great Natural Landmarks" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Tower by mrclay2000

Devils Tower Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 258 photos

The Spirit of Native America

This wonderful structure, the odd remnants of an ancient volcano, sits atop a prairie land that is gently carved by the Belle Fourche River and complemented by similar but much smaller towers known as the Little Missouri Buttes.

This is rattlesnake country by day, mule deer country by night. During the same time Devils Tower changes colors with the sun, from a glow of orange/red at sunrise, to yellow by mid-morning, to silver/gray/white under the midday sun, to an awesome ebony silhouette after nightfall. If you are fortunate enough to visit after dark, when the sun has disappeared but still affords a glow at the horizon, the Tower's magnitude dominates the landscape by twilight much more so than by day.

No view of the Tower is the same. The tour around even at a leisurely pace takes less than an hour. Watch for climbers and ladders going to the top, note the fallen boulders at the base, and keep to the path.

• Pros:Views are everchanging, close enough to touch
  • Cons:Over two hours away from closest other attraction, Mt Rushmore
  • In a nutshell:Not complete without visit to Mt Rushmore
  • Last visit to Devils Tower: Sep 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2003

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 3:37 AM

It must be a great experience to see this devils tower

• ophiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 9:27 AM

hi ! looks like a beautiful place. see you

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 5:51 AM

Nice photos. I read Devils Tower celebrated its 100th Anniversary as a National Monument. Oh, and btw, see any UFOs there Mike? lol.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Heading this way in September so many thanks for the helpful tips. Will definitely check out Crazy Horse.

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 5:01 AM

Nice pictures. I need to get back here someday - we really rushed through the park :(

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 5:59 PM

I went to Devil's Tower years ago. It really is amazing! Nice tips!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 10:11 PM

Interesting stuff, especially about Crazy Horse which I recall seeing on TV one time.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 8:58 PM

I remember seeing Devils Tower when I was 10 in 1948 when our parents drove us out to Colorado to visit our grandmother. Didn't get close to it.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 3:08 PM

Snakes! Why did you have to mention Snakes? I couldn't find any of those ancient ladders...BANG!! Oh sorry, you said don't shoot....LOL

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2003 at 4:01 PM

Awesome place... Mother Nature always surprises us. The pictures show the Tower... but where is the Devil? ;-)))

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Devils Tower

Have you been to Devils Tower?