"One of America's Great Natural Landmarks" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Tower by mrclay2000
Devils Tower Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 258 photos
This wonderful structure, the odd remnants of an ancient volcano, sits atop a prairie land that is gently carved by the Belle Fourche River and complemented by similar but much smaller towers known as the Little Missouri Buttes.
This is rattlesnake country by day, mule deer country by night. During the same time Devils Tower changes colors with the sun, from a glow of orange/red at sunrise, to yellow by mid-morning, to silver/gray/white under the midday sun, to an awesome ebony silhouette after nightfall. If you are fortunate enough to visit after dark, when the sun has disappeared but still affords a glow at the horizon, the Tower's magnitude dominates the landscape by twilight much more so than by day.
No view of the Tower is the same. The tour around even at a leisurely pace takes less than an hour. Watch for climbers and ladders going to the top, note the fallen boulders at the base, and keep to the path.
- Pros:Views are everchanging, close enough to touch
- Cons:Over two hours away from closest other attraction, Mt Rushmore
- In a nutshell:Not complete without visit to Mt Rushmore
Though it is over 2 1/2 hours away by car, most people who visit Devils Tower will venture all the way to Mount Rushmore... more travel advice
Whether inspecting for the minutest detail or backing off for a general perspective, you cannot visit Devils Tower and... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Devils Tower Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's Largest Laccolith"
- "Devils Tower: Sacred Site in NE Wyoming"
- "One of America's Great Natural Landmarks"
- "A special place"
- "Devil's Tower"
- "Natural Monument Devil's Tower"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Devils Tower
- Hotels in Devils Tower
- Transportation in Devils Tower
- Nightlife in Devils Tower
- Restaurants in Devils Tower
- Shopping in Devils Tower
- Warnings and Dangers in Devils Tower
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Devils Tower
- 11 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Devils Tower?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Devils Tower
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review Not Quite Linked but Still Associated in Devils Tower Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of zrim's Devils Tower travel pages
- updated a Devils Tower Travel Page "One of America's Great Natural Landmarks"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Not only the Colors but the Angles"
Photos in Devils TowerSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos