"Frontier Capital City" Top 5 Page for this destination Cheyenne by mrclay2000
Cheyenne Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 141 photos
Cheyenne was a shanty-town in the 1860s after the Civil War. Its capital building was erected in the late 1880s. Situated about 90 miles north of Denver, and hell and gone from everywhere else, one would wonder why this city ever came into being in its present location.
Modern Cheyenne enjoys its position as a crossroads for two interstate, I-25 and I-80. It also enjoy its frontier legacy in the Frontier Days celebration every end of July, and is now well beyond its 100th year. Townsfolk dress in period costume for the celebration, and when tumbleweeds and dust already blow through modern intersections, the throwback to the 19th century is hardly difficult to imagine.
Cheyenne is also a normal stop for those traveling to Yellowstone-Grand Teton, and for many voyaging to Glacier NP in Montana.
- Pros:Very casual, quaint, enjoyable capital city
- Cons:Dusty on windy days, which are quite frequent
- In a nutshell:The golden-domed state capital marks this charming oasis on the Plains!
The state capitol buildings in all the states generally display the noblest and most elegant architecture on a civic... more travel advice
St Mary's Cathedral rightfully deserves a listing for state historic sites. Built in 1907, its interior preserves... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Cheyenne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "State capital or small town?"
- "Frontier Days"
- "Frontier Capital City"
- "CHEYENNE, WYOMING"
- "Cheyenne - a part of American history"
- "Cheyenne, Wyoming"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cheyenne
- Hotels in Cheyenne
- Transportation in Cheyenne
- Nightlife in Cheyenne
- Restaurants in Cheyenne
- Shopping in Cheyenne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cheyenne
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Cheyenne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cheyenne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review State Capitol Building - obvious place to start in Cheyenne Things to Do
- Commented on one of ephobius's Cheyenne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Interior - Wyoming Capitol"
- created a Cheyenne Travel Page "Frontier Capital City"
Photos in CheyenneSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos