"The Battles Begin" Top 5 Page for this destination Manassas National Battlefield Park by mrclay2000
Manassas National Battlefield Park Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 223 photos
In 1861 not far from Washington DC, the first important battle of the Civil War began at Manassas Junction as it was known in the South, or Bull Run as it was known in the North. Considering the safety of Washington as paramount, the military high command attempted to direct the Federal attack from headquarters rather than on the field, which partly resulted in the Confederate forces overturning the Federal assault. The humiliating rout and flight of the Union line woke the nation that the war would not conclude in a matter of months, but would rather take a number of years. Five thousand casualties were left on the field, an appalling number at the time. The following summer at the same place, the Second Manassas caused 25,000 casualties. As Sherman would later say, "War is All Hell."
- Pros:Many of the relics and structures still stand
- Cons:Easy to lose your way when tour roads become local roads
- In a nutshell:The site of the first important Civil War conflict
This stone structure is a fine refurbishment of a similar span damaged extensively during the battles. As you can tell,... more travel advice
As at other national battlefields, cannon and monuments dot the grounds, but in the case of Manassas, certain battery... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Manassas National Battlefield Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manassas National Battlefield Park~"
- "battle of bull run"
- "MANASSAS/BULL RUN - CIVIL WAR TWO'FER"
- "The Battles Begin"
- "The scene of two major Civil War battles."
- "Manassas National Battlefield"
- "Manassa National Battlefield Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manassas National Battlefield Park
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Manassas National Battlefield Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manassas National Battlefield Park
Photos in Manassas National Battlefield ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos