"Great Natural Formations in Southeast Utah" Arches National Park by mrclay2000

Arches National Park Travel Guide: 612 reviews and 1,590 photos

Greatest Collection of Natural Arches in the World

This place almost defies physical geography. Take Delicate Arch, the most recognizable symbol of today's Utah. According to markers, the arch will not long be with us before Mother Nature blows it away. The fact that its here at all is amazing, but when you realize that 3,000 other arches in varying quality and size sit within this one spot, its almost unbelievable.

If you hike to Delicate Arch (as everyone who comes here must), you'll note a circular basin just off its base that appears to have been formed by swirling water -- yet the basin is 300 feet deep. This is only one example of the intriguing mysteries of the formation of this park.

• Pros:Incredible vistas when the sun is right
  • Cons:A dry, dusty desert almost without life
  • In a nutshell:Bring your camera and hope for great sunlight
  • Last visit to Arches National Park: Jul 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2003

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I hope someday to visit this gorgeous park. In fact, there are several in Utah that I want to see...amazing to see the beauty time has created!

• May 27, 2005 at 12:36 PM

yeah, Arches was fab, especially when you walk back in moonlight, one of the best experiences I've had! Edward Abbey is a must read if you like Arches!! Also enjoyed a guided walk in Fiery Furnace, very energetic and challenging!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 4:23 AM

Thats something I really regfretted, not spending more time in the national parks in our last visit.... The next one will be only natural park (I wanted to visit this one too, but not enough time!)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 6:02 PM

Great pages as usual. Flash floods, who would have believed it.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 10:31 PM

I see she has been here already. If everything goes to plan, we should be here in 2 weeks :-) Thanks for the photo tips!

• annk's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 6:38 AM

How's the weather in October....I'm considering visiting. Great job as usual!!

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2004 at 3:10 PM

Nice page with good tips. So many pages here on VT mention a polarizer, I guess I'll have to get one.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2003 at 9:19 AM

Good to see who the 'strongest member' of the party was!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 2:31 PM

great photos & tips

• Skye_Miles's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 2:59 PM

sexy arches, nice tips, great page! hiya been? :-)

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Arches National Park

Have you been to Arches National Park?