"The Park with a Past" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park by mrclay2000
Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 251 photos
Guadalupe Mountains National Park was set aside in the middle 1960s to preserve (according to their website) "portions of the world's most extensive and significant Permian limestone fossil reef." Also featured (says the same page) are "a tremendous earth fault, lofty peaks, unusual flora and fauna, and a colorful record of the past." For those of you who never imagined mountains in southwest Texas, this page will disabuse you of your error. For those you seek "a colorful record" of anything here, this page will abuse the very idea. For those who wish to scale the highest peaks in the 50 states, you MUST come here or forfeit your claim. There are certainly mountains here, and fossils aplenty buried in the rifts. The rest is arid landscape, vibrant in the fall, and hot and dusty through the spring and summer. Bring water, your sturdy hiking shoes and a general heap of patience.
- Pros:Boasts the highest point in Texas (Guadalupe Peak, 8,749 ft)
- Cons:Little natural scenery, relatively sparse among mammals
- In a nutshell:A great find for highcountry adventurers and amateur archaeologists!
With the town of Carlsbad NM roughly six miles away to the north, and the Guadalupe Mountains fifty miles away to the... more travel advice
When out of the fall season, the Canyon is a dry, arid bowl with meandering valleys until you reach its terminus. This... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Guadalupe Mountains National Park Page"
- "The Park with a Past"
- "Guadalupe Mountains National Park: Two Itineraries"
- "Guadalupe Mountain National Park by Kimberlyann"
- "Desert Beauty"
- "Ocean Reefs in the Sky"
- "Sharrie's Guadalupe Mountains N. P."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Hotels in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Transportation in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Guadalupe Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Commented on one of Shihar's Guadalupe Mountains National Park travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review A Place to Shake the Dust Off Your Shoes in Guadalupe Mountains National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inside the Lodge"
- updated a Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Page "The Park with a Past"
Photos in Guadalupe Mountains National ParkSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos