"Where a Misguided Nation Awoke to its Error" Shiloh National Military Park by mrclay2000
Shiloh National Military Park Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 322 photos
In May 1862 on the banks of the Tennessee River near Pittsburg Landing, 40,000 Confederate soldiers pinned 60,000 Federal troops against the river, fighting in the worst combat the young nation had ever known up to that time. In a single weekend, more Americans fell here than in all previous American wars combined.
Such carnage from a sleepy little corner of Tennessee stunned the nation, and from the first time I heard about this battlefield in my college history courses, I was stunned and magnetized to what happened on this horrible field, now so quietly covered with oak trees. Of especial significance to me was the Hornets Nest, a place where Union troops fought desperately to hold a line against overwhelming weaponry across the field.
Among the most decorated battlefields in the park system with its huge collection of state monuments, the field between Ruggles battery and the line known as the Hornets Nest is still intact. This place is hallowed ground, extremely important to American history and certainly worth preserving for future generations.
Step into history in the national battlefields and military parks of the United States. While to some they may seem like mere collections of cannon and monuments, they are meant to preserve important places in our past. Rangers and guides at every military park are familiar with questions from visitors about ancestors who fought in the battles and where on the field their regiments were engaged. History and the park system do not get any more personal than this.
For those with a superficial interest, military parks paint a historical picture worthy of discussion and a few photographs. For history lovers and Civil War buffs, visiting the places where America fought for its national life is a necessity, almost a cleansing of the soul.
Though my interests now stem around the wildlife and landscapes of the national parks, my first quests in America were deliberately made to past battlefields and military parks, and thankfully my foremost needs have now been satisfied.
- Pros:Easy to follow tour road, monuments & cannon at every corner
- Cons:Quite a distance from civilization
- In a nutshell:Well-Preserved Battlefield, a Conflict that Shook the Nation
When you drive into this place, you'll pass great hordes of cannon and monuments on your way to the visitor center,... more travel advice
The worst fighting at Shiloh took place in a tangled thicket that eventually obtained the label "the hornet's nest."... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Shiloh National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "shiloh national military park"
- "Where a Misguided Nation Awoke to its Error"
- "SHILOH - PEACE WHERE ONCE THERE WAS ANYTHING BUT"
- "Another somber moment"
- "Shiloh Battlefield"
- "Revisiting past"
- "Basaic Shiloh National Military Park Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shiloh National Military Park
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Shiloh National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shiloh National Military Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review Visitor Center and Initial Drive in Shiloh National Military Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Meaning Behind the Cannonballs"
- updated a Shiloh National Military Park Travel Page "Where a Misguided Nation Awoke to its Error"
Photos in Shiloh National Military ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos