"Almost a Boutique of a National Park" Wind Cave National Park by mrclay2000

Wind Cave National Park Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 73 photos

Buffaloes and Prairie Dogs Rule Equally

In my drive through this tiny national park on the way to Mt Rushmore, I saw that the drive required seventeen minutes from the entrance to the exit. In between there were dozens of buffalo, a few pronghorn antelope, one or two coyotes and a prairie dog community to rival that outside Devils Tower.

I understand that there are caverns here (hence the name of the park) but caves generally do not provide to the naked eye those colors often witnessed in pamphlets and brochures. If you like boutique size things, step outside your vehicle for a few minutes and listen to the prairie dogs bark at your intrusion, and watch for buffaloes moving through the area.

• Pros:Small enough to enjoy in a handful of minutes
  • Cons:Small enough to enjoy in a handful of minutes
  • In a nutshell:Small enough to enjoy in a handful of minutes
  • Last visit to Wind Cave National Park: Sep 2001
  • Intro Written Dec 20, 2002

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I am thinking of a possible trip to the area. Thanks for the descriptions of sites and thing to do.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM

I always enjoy your pages Mike. Devils Tower I missed the last time I was there. Some day I plan to return:-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 7:10 PM

Yes, looking for a cave also. Interesting other info.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2003 at 10:36 AM

How cute are those prairie dogs!

• DrewV's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2003 at 1:13 PM

Odd that you didn't try to see the cave -- that's the whole reason there's a park there, isn't it?

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 12:22 PM

The Cave is outshown by nearby Jewel Cave, IMHO, but the vistas over the Plains are worthwhile. Another even better nearby attraction is Custer State Park and the Needles drive towards Sylvan Lake - and, eventually, Mt Rushmore. Good prarie dog.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2003 at 9:44 AM

This Wind Cave page is accurate in every detail, except there is nothing on the caves.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2003 at 5:13 PM

A short page about a short drive, but with a great photo of the prairie dogs!

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2003 at 12:54 PM

I was actually going to spend some time in this area a few years back, here and Rushmore, but my girlfriend at the time wanted to go to the beach instead of camping...:(

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Wind Cave National Park

Have you been to Wind Cave National Park?