"The Old West Meets the New Economy" Top 5 Page for this destination Deadwood by mrclay2000
Deadwood Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 122 photos
This small bar has been modernized. The first impression is one of a watering hole from the Old West, with barrel-vaulted chairs, round tables, turn-of-the-century memorabilia, busts of wildlife on every rafter, and sawdust on the floor. Along the left hand runs the bar counter with every thing you could possibly want to slake your thirst, or in old timer parlance "to cut the dust from your throat."
There are televisions here for those not wanting to reminisce or have a drink, and a restaurant upstairs (reasonable prices). In the next room is a host of slot machines, and even several in the main parlor.
This place is important as the spot where legendary gunfighter Wild Bill Hickok was shot in 1876. His mementos and those of Calamity Jane roughly line the wall where he was sitting when Jack McCall pulled the trigger that ended his life. The chair said to be occupied by Wild Bill rests in a small niche above the main door.
- Pros:Authentic feel of an old time saloon
- Cons:This is a re-creation of the bar according to town literature
- In a nutshell:A detailed throwback to the frontier days
About 17 miles southwest of Mount Rushmore and a few miles north of Custer SD on US-16 is the still incomplete memorial... more travel advice
Wild Bill was shot in a decor not unlike what you find hanging on the rafters and adorning the walls of the present #10... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Deadwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- "Deadwood -Gambling & History"
- "The Old West Meets the New Economy"
- "Bad boy town of the west"
- "Deadwood South Dakota - Thar's GOOOOLD in them tha"
- "Ghosts of Deadwood, SD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deadwood
- Hotels in Deadwood
- Transportation in Deadwood
- Nightlife in Deadwood
- Restaurants in Deadwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Deadwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deadwood
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Deadwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deadwood
Photos in DeadwoodSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos