"The Fate of the Nation" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park by mrclay2000
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 494 photos
Before the Civil War, Gettysburg was a sleepy little village in Pennsylvania not too terribly far from the state capital at Harrisburg. Students at the Lutheran Theological Seminary peacefully attended their studies here, and the descendants of pensioners from the Revolutionary War called this quiet corner of the world 'home.'
In 1863, Lee's large Confederate army swung north into Pennsylvania and then southward while an even larger Union army under George Meade followed. Regiments from both sides, having heard that shoes might be obtainable in town (of which both armies were sadly deficient), soon found themselves squaring off on McPherson Ridge. Other regiments quickly followed until the engagement heated into the worst conflict in the history of the Western Hemisphere. Of 150,000 men engaged, fully a third would fall through the short period July 1-3, 1863. In a war where the nation struggled to survive under principles set forth by the founding fathers, the pinnacle of that conflict occurred in this small corner of Pennsylvania, sleepy once more.
- Pros:Full of history with over 1,400 markers and memorials
- Cons:Hideous observation towers outside the grounds mar the overview
- In a nutshell:Here's where the country fought for its national life
There are a few 18th century houses in Gettysburg, but the cupola of the Lutheran Theological Seminary is also still... more travel advice
By far the largest Civil War memorial in America (followed closely by the Illinois memorial at Vicksburg), the... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Gettysburg National Military Park~"
- "GETTYSBURG - LEE IS REPULSED"
- "The Fate of the Nation"
- "Gettysburg National Military Park"
- "Three Days in July (1863)"
- "America's Battlefield"
- "GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, Touring with Mary & Geoff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Transportation in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Restaurants in Gettysburg National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Military Park
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of Geoff_Wright's Gettysburg National Military Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review In Town in Gettysburg National Military Park Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Page "The Fate of the Nation"
- Uploaded a Photo to "In Town"
Photos in Gettysburg National Military ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos