"Rite of Passage" Norman by mrclay2000
Norman Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 90 photos
Like Oklahoma City, Norman grew up as a direct result of the 1889 Land Run that opened 2 million acres for settlement for homesteaders. The following year in 1890, seventeen years ahead of statehood, the University of Oklahoma was formed, at the time a tuition-free institution. Norman began to expand. Elegant houses from the period still stand near campus or throughout the city limits, and certain areas have been listed on the national register for historic site or districts. With a normal enrollment of over 20,000 students, the options around town are often based on campus life, but while the downtown area is still a somber reminder of more carefree days, much of Norman is still developing. New hotels, new businesses, and new resources commit to the community every year, making Norman one of the most ideal neighborhoods in the entire state.
- Pros:Never far away from the amenities of city life
- Cons:The frat house is never really far away from YOUR house
- In a nutshell:A small city, nestled comfortably between big city and little town lifestyles
Once a church with Romanesque pretensions constructed in 1926, the Chouse is now associated with public charities and... more travel advice
Though OU is considered by many the preeminent school in Oklahoma, the competing universities at Edmond and Stillwater... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Norman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rite of Passage"
- "HOME OF THE SOONERS"
- "Norman, Oklahoma: if you must live in Oklahoma..."
- "Doug's Norman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norman
- Hotels in Norman
- Nightlife in Norman
- Restaurants in Norman
- Shopping in Norman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norman
- 34 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Norman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norman
Photos in NormanSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos