"The Little Town That Didn't" Kingfisher by mrclay2000
Kingfisher Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 34 photos
Kingfisher (pop. 4,300) grew up like Oklahoma City in the aftermath of the Land Run of 1889. Once considered as the site for the state capital, it was overlooked at the time in favor of Guthrie, and thus losing this prominent status sank back into an ordinary town.
But not so ordinary a town. Kingfisher might have more historic points of interests and museums per capita than every other incorporated town or city in Oklahoma. Visions of the 89er Land Run are still prominent, and its Main Street sections are still intact. No more than an hour's drive from Oklahoma City, Kingfisher contains enough to make one ponder its treasures long afterwards.
- Pros:Plenty of historic points and museums
- Cons:The courthouse is inelegant if not downright ugly; no war memorial for this county seat
- In a nutshell:Easy access and interesting sights around every corner
Begun in 1903 but destroyed by a severe storm, the cornerstone of Sts Peter and Paul Catholic Church were eventually... more travel advice
Abraham Seay rose from being an officer in the Civil War (his war sword is one of the relics on display downstairs) to a... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Kingfisher Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Little Town That Didn't"
- "SAM WALTON'S BIRTHPLACE"
- "Basaic Kingfisher Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingfisher
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Kingfisher?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingfisher
Photos in KingfisherSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos