"Like Everyone Else - Only Different" Guthrie by mrclay2000

Guthrie Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 96 photos

Humble Beginnings - Rich Heritage

Like just about every other city or town in central Oklahoma, Guthrie came into being overnight, on April 22, 1889, when the Indian Territory (2 million acres in central Oklahoma) were opened to white settlement. At noon on that day, 50,000 settlers gathered to await a cannon shot that signaled the mad dash into the unclaimed lands. Those who went at the sound (or boom) of the gun were known as "Boomers." Many of these settlers found trespassers already encamped on choice preserves and locations, leading to claim disputes with local authorities, as to whose claim should predominate -- either that of the "boomer" who started with the others, or the "sooners" who started way too soon.

The Case Today

From these humble beginnings, Guthrie suddenly became the largest American town west of the Mississippi. Originally the state capital of Oklahoma (1907-1910), she lost this distinction in 1910 when the State Seal of Oklahoma was surreptitiously removed (many say "stolen") to Oklahoma City, which by virtue of possession became the new state capital.

• Pros:Frontier culture and buildings gorgeously preserved
  • In a nutshell:If you're looking for the authentic Old West, look no further
  • Last visit to Guthrie: Apr 2003
  • Intro Written May 19, 2003

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 12:10 PM

The TV features this a lot and I just went to St. Joseph Missouri where they talked of military guiding the wagon trains and settlers out that way. Great Pictures and comments.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 1:32 PM

My grandfather raced with a two horse buckboard and beat out four others on horse back to get 80 acres of land back then in the Delhi community in Ok. This town reminds me of Sayre, Ok.

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 2:34 PM

My wife and I plan to make a stop in Guthrie later this month when traveling from Nebraska to Texas. Your page is very helpful! Thanks much!

• Jul 12, 2005 at 8:03 AM

Ah, Home Sweet Home. I was born in Guthrie Oklahoma! Lived there till I was six and still return to visit family there from time to time. Great town, great page!

• Cruefan's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2005 at 11:55 AM

I tried living in the city (Boston, NYC) but I've returned to my hometown. Small town America is the only way to go. great page !!!

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 9:13 PM

wow, never heard of this place before, looks very ummmmmm.....interesting..

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 10:47 PM

...and I thought it must be named after Arlo! Usual high quality page, we wouldn't expect anything less!

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2003 at 4:48 AM

If I ever get myself to Guthrie I know which page to print out as a guide.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2003 at 10:07 AM

Funny comment from Jessica LOL That's a great place to have Holidays indeed Mike!

• skye820's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 10:30 AM

Very detailed description of Miss Lizzies Bordello ;) What an interesting place that would be to host a VT meeting...

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Guthrie

Have you been to Guthrie?

Latest Activity in Guthrie