"El Reno - Second to Guthrie in Historical Richness" El Reno by mrclay2000
El Reno Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 28 photos
El Reno was originally established as a military post in 1875 as a sort of security measure in the Cheyenne-Arapaho reservation established in the 1840s. This detail makes it older than Oklahoma City, yet its founding began in the same vein as part of the Land Run of 1889. El Reno's original charter was granted a month after the run on May 22. Thanks perhaps to the dissolution of the military outpost (though the post served as a prisoner of war retention camp during WWI), El Reno declined as a major city, but happily retained its original buildings and much of its 19th-century charm. It remains the county seat of Canadian County, full of historic and nostalgic tales.
- Pros:Most of its historical buildings lie on a few easy blocks
- Cons:El Reno shows its misfortune on every street
- In a nutshell:A historical treasure chest of Oklahoma history second only to Guthrie
Okarche is a tiny town just north of El Reno with a famous restaurant known statewide (Eischen's Bar or Eischen's... more travel advice
Removed a few miles from Fort Reno and not having seen a coat of paint or protectant these many years, the former... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
El Reno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Reno - Second to Guthrie in Historical Richness"
- "Basaic El Reno Page"
- "EUROPE AT LAST!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Reno
- 21 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to El Reno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Reno
Photos in El RenoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos