"Rural Oklahoma" Davis by mrclay2000
Davis Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 47 photos
The town of Davis lies about 80 miles south of the capital Oklahoma City off I-35. With under 3,000 residents, it meets the average for town size in this state, but it occupies a geographic location that other towns might envy. Near at hand is the county seat at Sulphur just a few miles to the east. To the south is the sprawling Chickasaw National Recreation Area and the Lake of the Arbuckles, situated within a dense forest of oak and maple. The town's premier attraction, which to my mind is grossly overrated, is Turner Falls State park, which features a 77-foot waterfall into a natural pool. Most of this 77 feet is along a sloping runoff, while the actually falls themselves tumble about 40 feet or less. It is however a pleasure to swim in this pool and to test your strength by swimming through the waterfall to the lush cave beyond, but few would relish paying the $7 for this privilege. On the other hand, Davis contains the county's most interesting museum at the Davis Santa Fe Depot, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. If you're driving to the recreation area or the state park, the historic downtown area and this Arbuckle Historical Museum are easily covered in a few minutes.
- Pros:Everything lies on the main road
- Cons:Nothing that lies off the main road is of much interest
- In a nutshell:Everything of interest is easily reviewed in a few short minutes
Signs near the historic downtown area will direct the conscientious traveler to the Chigley Mansion a few blocks north... more travel advice
This particular building on OK-7 near the post office is the most prominent building in the historic downtown area.... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Davis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rural Oklahoma"
- "Turner Falls park"
- "Turner Falls"
- "Gateway to Arbuckle Mountains and Turner Falls"
- "Davis - home of Turner Falls"
- "Davis has its own Wilderness"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Davis
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Davis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Davis
Photos in DavisSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos