"Oklahoma's Biggest Wonder in the Park System" Chickasaw National Recreation Area by mrclay2000
Chickasaw National Recreation Area Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 38 photos
Originally set aside as Platt National Park in 1906, this homogeneous area of hardwood forests suddenly felt the pressure that it was valued above its worth, and in 1976 stepped down from park status to that of national recreation area. Thanks to the earthmovers that carved out great holes in many parts of Oklahoma (giving tourism directors a chance to claim the escalating but artificial miles of shoreline), Chickasaw National Recreation Area soon boasted its own "Lake of the Arbuckles." When a bulldozer has to create the crown jewel of a park, the title "Lake of the Arbuckles," a high-fallutin label for "Arbuckle Lake" (the preferred, down home title), easily establishes that we are boasting far more than we can deliver. However, the park gets 3.4 million annual visitors a year, most of them returning Oklahomans who come here to fish or water ski, but very few come for the wildlife (deer and the customary ground rodents) or the trails. My one positive remark about the area is that the forests are superb, thickly composed of maple and oaks in most places, but poison ivy is also abundant, so use caution if you choose to hike.
- Pros:Plenty of water for water sports and fishing
- Cons:We had to ship in everything but the trees
- In a nutshell:Bring a fishing pole and your water skis, but you won't need your Visa
The Davis Santa Fe Depot in nearby Davis is rightfully listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Inside the... more travel advice
Sulphur is part of the National Main Street Program, but from my evaluation none of the buildings deserved any special... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Chickasaw National Recreation Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oklahoma's Biggest Wonder in the Park System"
- "btex's Chickasaw Page"
- "Basaic Chickasaw National Recreation Area Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- Hotels in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- Transportation in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Chickasaw National Recreation Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chickasaw National Recreation Area
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review The Best Museum in the Area in Chickasaw National Recreation Area Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Water Sports - the last on the agenda"
- created a Chickasaw National Recreation Area Travel Page "Oklahoma's Biggest Wonder in the Park System"
- Commented on one of btex's Chickasaw National Recreation Area travel pages
Photos in Chickasaw National Recreation AreaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos